On the Old Oregon Trail

Printable View

• 03-16-2014, 09:46 PM
    ksbryan0
    1 Attachment(s)
    On the Old Oregon Trail
    Upper Perry Arch Bridge, Perry, OR; taken last year and just getting around to doing something with it. Light was harsh, sky was boring, not a lot to add "punch" to the composition as taken. Used a 3-frame HDR to start, then converted to BW. (Along the top of the hill and trees appears to be some haloing...that shows in the RAW files too, I think from a poorly adjusted CPL filter.)
    Attachment 92840
    Canon 5D Mk II, EF 16-35L II (f/11, 1/125, ISO 400) and +2/-2 Ev
  • 03-17-2014, 04:27 PM
    hminx
    Re: On the Old Oregon Trail
    I assume you intend the arched span of the bridge to be your POI here Ken, if so the leading lines made up of the horizon and the railway line seem to be dragging my eyes away from this. Possibly getting in a bit closer might have helped . The other issue that bothers me is that I don't think this works all that well as a B&W, the ground texture doesn't have much definition and the trees blend in too well, which I don't think would be such a problem in colour.
  • 03-17-2014, 05:00 PM
    ksbryan0
    2 Attachment(s)
    Pete, I appreciate your input. The subject is the bridge, as a whole. It is a unique structure and evidently was one of McCullough's (the architect/designer) favorite signature accomplishments. I toyed with the crop a bit, and found that 16 X 9 makes the structure jump out better. Have included that crop, along with the same in color. The full color image just seems flat to me, but am open to hear what others think.
  • 03-21-2014, 09:15 PM
    GB1
    Ken, this one is a decent shot from a architectural perspective. It displays the bridge well and shows the viewer what's happening; bridge, railroad, mountainous area, etc. I do like how the track sort of leads the viewer in/over. I also assume the HDR was a success if the light was harsh that day, for it looks pretty evened out here. The B&W works for me, has an 'old west' feeling to it.

Is it a creative shot? Not really.. nothing really catches my eye in that regard. But this is OK because I doubt the scene had much chance of that anyway. The subject is very straightforward. Maybe playing with the railroad tracks w/ super wide angle at sunset or sunrise would add flair, but hard to tell ...

G
  • 03-23-2014, 08:41 AM
    jesab
    I am going to have to agree with pete and say that the poi is kind of mushed in with the rest of the shot. going at a different angle or getting closer could have helped.
  • 03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
    FunkyMonkey
    I would of laid in the railway tracks and gotten more of the movement of the tracks with the bridge in the background. But I like the shot regardless =D
  • 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
    JMASTERJ
    This reminds me of an old western type of movie.. I hope that was the objective, then good job!
  • 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM
    Lava Lamp
    I think you kinda nailed it with your own self critique. It is a little too flat and one dimensional. I can't suggest much more than to go back in better light and try to find some different viewpoints while you are there.