Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Old Factory, Farmville, VA (Americana Cont.)

Leica MP, Voigtlander 35/1.7 Ultron, Kodak Plus-x B&W film.

Re: Old Factory, Farmville, VA (Americana Cont.)

Hello Tuna
    When I saw this I asked myself what is it thats missing. I'm still not sure. Then I wonder what is there to the left of the main factory building and if a more landscape format could help, keeping the main factory a little more to the right. As usual great quality B/W and a lovely natural (with no post processing,I think) sky.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    Then I wonder what is there to the left of the main factory building and if a more landscape format could help...
    Yes, this is a really interesting scene, tailor-made for a B&W treatment. The shot has very good tonality in both sky and ground and nice slightly angular lighting.

I think the only drawback is the angle of view and composition are a bit too conservative. It's a fairly straight-on shot with the building and horizon pretty much running across the center of the frame. The sides look cut off a bit, as if there are more things to see to either side of the building, but we simply aren't allowed to see them.

While the dirt road and fence lead the viewer's eye from foreground to middle, the depth stops there, and there is nothing visible that recedes further into the bg.

IMO, the composition of this shot would be improved with not only a higher or lower horizon, but (as Tom points out), a wider angle of view to include more complete details on the sides. A landscape view would also allow the dirt road to begin on the right side of the bottom of the frame, instead of the bottom of the right side.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Tom, Steve - thank you for the extensive critique of this image - it is greatly appreciated. I didn't see the lack of including more as a detriment but appreciate your views after your seeing the image here. I have the advantage of having been there when the picture was taken and know that I framed out some cars in a parking lot on the right and a trash bin behind a building on the left - both distractions I wanted to avoid. Including them may have given a more thorough view of the surroundings but, in my opinion, changed the presentation of the factory. Again, I appreciate your views and maybe a different angle/viewpoint of the factory would have allowed more surroundings to complement the factory.

Tuna

Thread Information