Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Concentration(kid pic)

Posted this in Viewfinder, but thought I'd see if I can get some feedback on this. Too dark?
    Little girl playing with a long strand of that canned stringy stuff. Thanks. :-)
    Contax G2 Zeiss 90/2.8 Delta 100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Concentration(kid pic)-paddyg2.jpg  

I like this. You captured a nice moment. I don't think this is too dark, and I like the contrast in this.Background blur just right.
    By the way, did you use any sort of filter on the lens?
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks, Gary ... no filter. The superb Zeiss lenses for the G2 have really pleasing bokeh(background blur/softness). The Delta 100 gives smooth, creamy tones. Good combination. Thanks again.

Nope. Don't think it's too dark at all. Nice balance between empty space and "full space" in the composition as well.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Beautiful image

This is a beautiful image. I love your use of the negative space, it is well porportioned and sufficiently blured to enhance the mood of the photograph. I like the fact that the child is not looking at the camera but is engrossed in her activity. The only nit that I would have is that the wall or ledge that is is sitting on is not parallel with in the horizonal plane of the image. This doesn't really bother me given the overall strength of the photograph, but could with some viewers. Very nice post. You continue to give others here at PR a standard to strive for.

I love this! Great scale in b&w. This is a very rustic and serene image, taken at the best moment. Great job.

Frank
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

Kitten's Cradle...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Posted this in Viewfinder, but thought I'd see if I can get some feedback on this. Too dark?
    Little girl playing with a long strand of that canned stringy stuff. Thanks. :-)
    ...or Little Humpty.

I like the shot Charles. Little kids can bring an amazing amount of concentration to simple things. ....sometimes.

old timer said it well

I really love how smooth but crisp this image is and especially the moment.

the horizon bothers me a bit and maybe just a slight degree or so CW but I wouldn't totally level it out on the horizontal...

the composition and tonal values are just right IMHO
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    This is a nice shot. I understand the challenge of capturing a little girl on film! Good contrast too.

The only thing that I think would improve this shot would be the removal of that object behind her head, it is tangent to her head at one point... only my opinion. Good Job

I will add that I actually think that the ledge not being level with the frame is a good thing in this shot and the large object behind her works for me as it makes her look like the little girl she is. just a diiference of opinions
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Cool

Nice Pic I don't think that this print is too dark I think that the composition is just right between the skintones and the background. Good Photo.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I like...

Good photograph Charles..
    She has a great expression on her face.
    There seems to be a little too much space on the left, but all in all in you have a good photo.
    Thanks for posting it here!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information