Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Old Car & Fuzzy Dice

Caught a glimpse of this in afternoon light on a recent weekend getaway to "old town" America. Car looked like it was 40s vintage but it was too bright out to get a shot of the whole body, not to mention lousy modern cars surrounding it in the parking area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I like this, simply because you've caught a little bit of everything in the car. That piece of red showing through the windshield...I'd clone it out, as it conflicts with the predominately blues, greens, and browns. Nice one.

You did a good job of eliminating the environment and creating a retro 50's mood. Usually a very hard thing to do. Your depth of field is good as are the colors.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I like this shot, would like to see more information around the top to complete the "framed" look.
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Nice Image. I agree with what the others had to say. I like the angel into the car, its like looking into the past. I am curious as to how it would look if the window frame was in focus and the dice and steering wheel were out of focus, just enough to know what they. It might create more of a nostalgic feel. Just a thought, (and I always seem to have one). Nice job.

PJ - I agree with the previous post concerning framing. I love the shot, but would've liked it better with more of the top of the window. The real reason for this post, thought, is to express my condolences at the loss of your favorite sport to a lockout. Not a huge fan myself, but I've enjoyed watching a puck or two hit the ice... It's gonna be a long winter for you, no?

PJ,
    I like this as well. I think the focus could have worked nicely either way whether focus on the frame or the dice as you have. I agree with Clicker about the top part of the window getting lost, but that is not a big problem here. Good catch. . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks, guys...

...I appreciate all of your comments. I agree that upon further review, it might improve the shot to have had more of the roof-line in the picture. Sort of "framed" on three sides but not the top. I also agree about the red spot Mr. Hess noted. I will clone that out in future renderings of this guy. Unfortunately for me, I cropped the roof-line out with the camera, not Photoshop.

Next time I'll remember that.

fgottman: very long winter... maybe even lasting into *next* winter if things aren't remedied by this January. Sad day for hockey fans... it really is. Our sport has been marked as one where the players don't show-boat during games and in the locker room, they don't aire their negotiation problems to the press, they don't usually hold out for an extra "few million" the way other athletes do; they put team first, always. This, not to mention that most players don't make anywhere *near* what an NBA, MLB, or NFL player makes, even if he's at the same level of success.

This puts a bit of a crimp on that frankly, although I believe Gary Bettman is a disingenuous individual at times who is hiding the information from the league audit, in order to make his case that a salary cap is the only option (which I don't buy). The league is doing some creative accounting but they won't show anyone the audit books to verify all this money they've lost, and to verify the percentage of revenue the players have taken in years. I don't doubt it's more than 50%, but I DO doubt it's 70+% like Bettman says. He's not an honest man IMO.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Puck..

This is a very nice shot! But be careful, classic cars can get addicting! lol About 1/4 of all pics I take are of classic car parts. I have a few similar to yours, I just can't resist them. It's like a slice out of another time. If you had more of the roof in the shot the framing would be a bit better. Also the curves of the cars back then are what make them. Someone would be able to tell from the roof what car it is, and that makes it even more interesting. A lot of photographers get the bug of classic cars and motorcycles because of one chance encounter like yours..watch out. lol
    Kit

I will keep that in mind for future reference. I see what you mean though; I could definitely spend a few hours snapping pictures of these kinds of scenes, assuming it wasn't in the middle of a big parking lot or parking garage (or similarly boring place).
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Lightbulb

Well, first off this is my first post here.

Second, I absolutely love automotive photgraphy, especially vintage cars. I spent a lot of time this summer at car shows with my ancient Canon AE-1. (Hoping to purchase an Elan 7 before Xmas)

My only critique of this otherwise wonderful shot is to just be careful of what's in surface reflections. It's not real noticeable, but if I look close, I think I can make out your arms and wristwatch, holding a camera in the reflection off the glass. If printed in large format it'd probably be more obvious.

After my first couple of car shows, I learned to be more aware of reflections. (especially in those very expensive ultra-glossy paint jobs) I had to PS myself out of several shots.

Other than that, it's a great shot, I'm jealous I didn't get it.

[QUOTE=Beltaine]

My only critique of this otherwise wonderful shot is to just be careful of what's in surface reflections. It's not real noticeable, but if I look close, I think I can make out your arms and wristwatch, holding a camera in the reflection off the glass. If printed in large format it'd probably be more obvious.

After my first couple of car shows, I learned to be more aware of reflections. (especially in those very expensive ultra-glossy paint jobs) I had to PS myself out of several shots.
    [QUOTE]
    Welcome! And oh yeah, good point! I forgot to mention that. Gees I had some wonderful shots when I first started shooting classics, then got brought them up on the computer and there I was, tripod and all, in the whole side of the car. grrr. Now i am super careful, but it does force you to try unusual angles. One time, my face was showing completely on the end of a macro of the hood ornament. lol show us your pics!
    Kit

Thanks and welcome Beltaine.

I hadn't even noticed my reflection at all; that's a very good observation and point to keep in mind when photographing cars up-close (or anything with a shiny glass surface for that matter). Cheers!
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Puck,
    Awesome shot. I agree with the others, you really did capture a retro mood there by not letting the other cars surrounding spoil the moment (that red car is not too distracting, but cloning out wouldn't hurt), I also think a little more complete framing on the window would add to it, but I think it is great as is.
    Wonderful!

VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thread Information