Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight Photo (top)

4 57.14%
  • Orton Imagery Photo (bottom)

3 42.86%
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Otter Creek. Which do you like better?

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I visited this site. It's good to see many familiar names are still very active here! I'm hoping to get some opinions on these two versions of the same image. Which do you like better, and if it's not too much to ask, can you please tell me why you like one over the other?

These are 4 minute exposure thanks to a B+W 10 stop ND filter.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Otter Creek. Which do you like better?

Hi Mike
    I like the colours of the second shot but the blurry affect makes it a little hard on the eyes. I also have an issue with the composition. I would have liked you to have taken a couple of steps to the right so the foreground water fall isn't partially concealed by that rock and then the two falls been so central and lined up.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Thanks for the feedback!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

They both look a bit red to me, although I am looking at them on an uncalibrated monitor. Even so, I think they look a bit pink. As for which one I like better - definitely the one with no effect applied. I'm not a big fan of effects on photos. And if you are going to use them, I think they'd better add some meaning. In this case, I don't see any reason to mess with the original image. I think it's well-done with a great scene and a solid composition. Why mess that up by making it all blurry?

Just curious - can you tell me why you were considering applying the Orton Effect - or whatever it is? What were you trying to convey with the manipulation? Analyzing your motivation might help you to better understand the goal and make the original photo stronger the next time you try it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for your feedback John. The red/pink color cast is a result of the B+W 10 stop ND filter I used. Sometimes I like the color cast, others I don't. I think on this one I tried to remove it but didn't quite get it all.

I'll be honest with you, I really didn't have much of a reason for applying the Orton Effect to the image. I like the original, but maybe deep down I felt it was missing something so I applied the effect in hopes of making more out of the image than what was there and wanted some other opinions.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973 View Post
    I'll be honest with you, I really didn't have much of a reason for applying the Orton Effect to the image. I like the original, but maybe deep down I felt it was missing something so I applied the effect in hopes of making more out of the image than what was there and wanted some other opinions.
    I understand completely. I now always question any urge to run effects on my photos - specifically because I am suspicious that it means they aren't strong enough to stand on their own. I think this photo is pretty good on its own, though. It's not the greatest creek photo ever. But it's nice enough.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I like the second one. The first one almost looks to sharp. I also think it has a little more movement captured in the water. You might clone the little twig in the middle so it doesn't obstruct the water. Simple it up some.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

First one for me. The blur works with the water (1st), but it kind of looks "cheap" (no offence!) when it's the whole pic.
    The future of optics is here. www.algolux.com

I actually really like both photos. I think the Orton effect really makes the colours brighter and richer which drew my eyes to it first. The sharper more detailed image on the top makes the photo interesting and realistic.

GB1

Mike,

Very interesting, and congrats on the sticky. The colors seem surreal and that gives them an enchanted feeling, like we're looking at a scene from Oz. The compositions are relatively busy but I think that works quite well here - everything balances because the blur forces you to look at it, defining a subject in each. I also like how the sitting water is the main stage so to speak, and the surrounding land frames it in.

The ND worked here. I have a variable ND filter but get a lot of distortion/noise on my Nikon D700 when I make it pretty dark. Not sure what's up w/ that.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for all of your thoughts and feedback everyone! And thanks for the feature John.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information