Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Post A newbie request

I am not only new to this site but new to photography. I live in a rural area and decided to do something that will get me out of the house, in a small town of around 200 people and the nearest "large" town about 16 miles away it is very easy to stay in the house. Especially during the winter months. I have been pursuing this hobby for about 3 months and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I would like to submit a couple of pictures for critiques.

Thanks!

Betty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A newbie request-moon1.jpg   A newbie request-billymaggie5.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A good start - like the first one ! Enjoy your new hobby - what sort of cam are you using ?

welcome aboard

your town sounds great ( at least to those of us with 1000+ people) just big and small enough...the first shot is very pretty (composition and color wise)

Only thing is the images seem very pixalized...could be scanning. what camera are you using?

would love to see the first a bit larger. and the second shot maybe with more surrounding area. the shots of the kids is a fun shot but again a bit pixalized and the colors are a bit off. And from one limb cutter to another...try to keep hands and feet and even tops of heads in the shots

Keep posting and shooting you have signed up for a hobby that will only keep you wanting more and more from your self... have fun and ask as many questions as you need to---some one will answer--eventually
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Welcome,
    I like the first scene best. I like the view point you chose to shoot this from. Natalie pointed a a few thin gs to you that I would agree with. Quality of the images a little low, and you might need to get the hang of resizing your images for display here. You can find and ask for any kind of help with that in the help forum and maybe even view finder. But as you get your feet deeper into this water, you will start to improve alot and get the hang of it. Look forward to seeing more from you.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Welcome!

Welcome to the site!

I agree with Nat and Gary overall. The first one is well composed, and the colors are nice. The second pic is cool. My suggestion on this one is to include a little more of the ground area, placing the moon higher in the sky. Also perhaps crop tighter on the left and right.

Good job... hope to see more from you.

-Stew

Welcome to the site. Looks like you're off to a good start! I agree with the other posts, and with Stew about lowering the horizon in shot #2 - showing a little more ground can help place the shot a little more, make it feel a little more "grounded". You're trying a lot of different types of subjects, which is good.

I usually post 400 x 600 pixel images, it seems to work pretty well and that's about the max you can post here. Feel free to post others!

Welcome. #1 is excellent. The smooth colors work well and the way you've shot it progresses nicely through the fore- middle- and back-grounds, the way better landscapes do.

#2 fails - at least for me - because there isn't much of a subject or lacking that, an arrangement of the other objects that is pleasing or interesting.

$3 is good - it's hard to go wrong with cute smiling kids - but the way you were shooting upwards really emphasises the boots, rather than the faces. A crop could help. Fyi, the colors seems a bit off on this one, too.

Re: A Newbie Request

First, thanks to all of you who have looked at my photos and told me what is wrong/right with them. It HELPS very much. Not many photography clubs around here to pick brains or anything with.

The 1st photo, taken with a film camera. A Chinon CP-7M 35mm SLR. Scanned only at 96 dpi. I must have missed the part about how big the photo can be when scanned because I don't know. So I tried to not make it huge or anything for posting. This was also a "happy accident". It just looked beautiful to me. Nothing else. LOL

2nd and 3rd photos are both digital. A Concord Eye-Q Duo 2000 and we are very new to each other! For a while I kept cutting off the tops of pictures.

I do understand what all of you have said about the second photo. When I took it all I was thinking about was how clear it was that night. Well, heck only last night. I have looked at it several times thinking how empty it looked. Wanted to see if it is only me or if maybe I might be getting a little bit of a hang of this.

Confession: The monitor of my computer has lost all color red. It is mentioned that in the 3rd photo the color looks a little off. As it was digital I can't see it properly. Sorry. I will be getting a new computer within 2 weeks. I CANNOT WAIT. Can you tell me a little so that when I do get the computer I understand where the color is off? As for emphasizing the boots, didn't even think of that myself! Leaving limbs on is always a good thing too!

I like taking lots of pictures, but I do seem to be drawn towards old buildings and I like black and white photos. Actually, the first picture I posted, the building with the sky and wheat grass looking stuff, I thought was a black and white picture. I was very surprised, and happy, when I had it developed and found I had taken it in color. I do not think it would have been nearly as good in black and white. Actually it isn't, I did ask for the whole roll to be processed as black and white after I had the roll developed to see how the photos looked different. Some things just shouldn't be in black and white!

My town is nice!

I am going to San Diego, road trip, bringing both my digital and my Chinon along with the 3 other 35mm cameras I have. Old ones I have had for a while, don't know what it is called but the lenses are fixed on these, can't change them. Not like with the Chinon. I plan on taking loads of pictures. Practice, practice, practice.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies, you have all been very helpful, I do appreciate it very much. Sorry for my lengthy reply.

Betty

learning member
    Hi Betty

The first and the last photo is very good . Maybe on the last photo one could have tried not to cut off the hand and the foot of the boy .
    I do like your photo's .

Hope you would not mind , i have tried a tighter crop on the second photo just to see what difference it would make .

Greetings
    james

Quote Originally Posted by bjtindle
    I am not only new to this site but new to photography. I live in a rural area and decided to do something that will get me out of the house, in a small town of around 200 people and the nearest "large" town about 16 miles away it is very easy to stay in the house. Especially during the winter months. I have been pursuing this hobby for about 3 months and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I would like to submit a couple of pictures for critiques.

Thanks!

Betty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A newbie request-moon13.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jcharris
    Hi Betty

The first and the last photo is very good . Maybe on the last photo one could have tried not to cut off the hand and the foot of the boy .
    I do like your photo's .

Hope you would not mind , i have tried a tighter crop on the second photo just to see what difference it would make .

Greetings
    james
    \

Actually I don't mind at all that you cropped the picture. It looks much better cropped as you did. Not quite so "enormous" an empty space. I wish I hadn't cut Billy's foot off either. Thank you for replying to my post, I love being able to put some photos on here and get some feedback, it is proving to be very helpful to me!! Thank you so much!

Betty
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

Thread Information