Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

New series I'm working on

I'm a little obsessed with beaches and snow. I've shot countless rolls of both. I'm also *really* into abstraction - old school, I know, but it's what I'm attracted to and inspired by. So I've been taking some photos recently with a series in mind - along the lines of Stieglitz's equivalents, as well as inspiration from recently viewing some gorgeous Siskind prints - and taking it a step further and making a series of diptychs. All this is actually 35mm - the Holga doesn't seem like the best tool for the sort of abstractions I like to make.

Enough blah-blah-blah-ing! What I'd like to know is:
    Does each set work together?
    Is it clumsy when one is horizontal and one is vertical?
    Would certain images just be better off by themselves, or are they too much like each other to be together and I should just choose one stand-alone image?

And, of course, any other comments you might have. They are a bit too contrasty and dark for me on this monitor, but each monitor here at work seems to be different.

Thanks, Megan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New series I'm working on-duo_series_1.jpg  
    Last edited by megan; 02-26-2004 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    I'm a little obsessed with beaches and snow. I've shot countless rolls of both. I'm also *really* into abstraction - old school, I know, but it's what I'm attracted to and inspired by. So I've been taking some photos recently with a series in mind - along the lines of Stieglitz's equivalents, as well as inspiration from recently viewing some gorgeous Siskind prints - and taking it a step further and making a series of diptychs. All this is actually 35mm - the Holga doesn't seem like the best tool for the sort of abstractions I like to make.

Enough blah-blah-blah-ing! What I'd like to know is:
    Does each set work together?
    Is it clumsy when one is horizontal and one is vertical?
    Would certain images just be better off by themselves, or are they too much like each other to be together and I should just choose one stand-alone image?

And, of course, any other comments you might have. They are a bit too contrasty and dark for me on this monitor, but each monitor here at work seems to be different.

Thanks, Megan
    Hi Megan,

The series your dipicting while being a simple subject on the face of it is very difficult to represent in a graphic form, personally & I'm no photo judge, I think you need more difference between the frames. The top 2 pictures seem tonally not to match all the others, I like the ones below the top 2 photo's, a very tight shot of something growing out of the sand like coarse grass, or a wind swept form of a dune might introduce the difference of design to give the overall panel more interest.

The bottom left photo stands on it's own as a very pleasing composition. I'm sure the photo's are better on paper than my monitor, you have a fascinating project, I envy you.
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

Thanks...

I should have posted each pair separately. Maybe I'll go back and edit and do that so each pair con be judged by themselves.

Duo #2

I had previously attached all 3 diptychs to the original post, and they ended up looking all jumbled up. For clarity, I'm attaching each duo separately so they can be viewed separately, as one piece. [That *might* make sense!]

Thanks again for looking.

Megan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Set 3

Last set for now.

Thanks for looking.

Megan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New series I'm working on-duo_series_3.jpg  

Like them all. Pretty neat!

-Dave-

The first two are really interesting studies of light / contrast and texture. They're not for everyone, but I definitely like 'em a lot.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question Unsure?

I have seen better from you Megan.
    Not saying that these are good images, but I am not saying thay are bad either.
    I am just really unsure about them.
    They just don't do anything for me.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information