New series I'm working on

Printable View

• 02-26-2004, 09:11 AM
    megan
    1 Attachment(s)
    New series I'm working on
    I'm a little obsessed with beaches and snow. I've shot countless rolls of both. I'm also *really* into abstraction - old school, I know, but it's what I'm attracted to and inspired by. So I've been taking some photos recently with a series in mind - along the lines of Stieglitz's equivalents, as well as inspiration from recently viewing some gorgeous Siskind prints - and taking it a step further and making a series of diptychs. All this is actually 35mm - the Holga doesn't seem like the best tool for the sort of abstractions I like to make.

Enough blah-blah-blah-ing! What I'd like to know is:
    Does each set work together?
    Is it clumsy when one is horizontal and one is vertical?
    Would certain images just be better off by themselves, or are they too much like each other to be together and I should just choose one stand-alone image?

And, of course, any other comments you might have. They are a bit too contrasty and dark for me on this monitor, but each monitor here at work seems to be different.

Thanks, Megan
  • 02-26-2004, 11:43 AM
    Norman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by megan
    I'm a little obsessed with beaches and snow. I've shot countless rolls of both. I'm also *really* into abstraction - old school, I know, but it's what I'm attracted to and inspired by. So I've been taking some photos recently with a series in mind - along the lines of Stieglitz's equivalents, as well as inspiration from recently viewing some gorgeous Siskind prints - and taking it a step further and making a series of diptychs. All this is actually 35mm - the Holga doesn't seem like the best tool for the sort of abstractions I like to make.

Enough blah-blah-blah-ing! What I'd like to know is:
    Does each set work together?
    Is it clumsy when one is horizontal and one is vertical?
    Would certain images just be better off by themselves, or are they too much like each other to be together and I should just choose one stand-alone image?

And, of course, any other comments you might have. They are a bit too contrasty and dark for me on this monitor, but each monitor here at work seems to be different.

Thanks, Megan

Hi Megan,

The series your dipicting while being a simple subject on the face of it is very difficult to represent in a graphic form, personally & I'm no photo judge, I think you need more difference between the frames. The top 2 pictures seem tonally not to match all the others, I like the ones below the top 2 photo's, a very tight shot of something growing out of the sand like coarse grass, or a wind swept form of a dune might introduce the difference of design to give the overall panel more interest.

The bottom left photo stands on it's own as a very pleasing composition. I'm sure the photo's are better on paper than my monitor, you have a fascinating project, I envy you.
  • 02-26-2004, 01:12 PM
    megan
    Thanks...
    I should have posted each pair separately. Maybe I'll go back and edit and do that so each pair con be judged by themselves.
  • 02-26-2004, 01:16 PM
    megan
    1 Attachment(s)
    Duo #2
    I had previously attached all 3 diptychs to the original post, and they ended up looking all jumbled up. For clarity, I'm attaching each duo separately so they can be viewed separately, as one piece. [That *might* make sense!]

Thanks again for looking.

Megan
  • 02-26-2004, 01:17 PM
    megan
    1 Attachment(s)
    Set 3
    Last set for now.

Thanks for looking.

Megan
  • 02-26-2004, 04:28 PM
    Dave E.
    Like them all. Pretty neat!

-Dave-
  • 02-26-2004, 04:46 PM
    PuckJunkey
    The first two are really interesting studies of light / contrast and texture. They're not for everyone, but I definitely like 'em a lot.

:)
  • 02-27-2004, 11:07 AM
    mtbbrian
    Unsure?
    I have seen better from you Megan.
    Not saying that these are good images, but I am not saying thay are bad either.
    I am just really unsure about them.
    They just don't do anything for me.
    Brian