Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

New to photography! Need Feedback!

I am very new to photography, I've only been shooting for a couple of months, but I'm already hooked. The problem is I have no one that will give me constuctive criticism because I'm the only person I know who's really into photography. Whenever I ask my parents or friends about my photos they just say, "oh those are really great," then walk away. My hope is by showing my photos to people and getting advice it will help me gradually become a better photographer. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to photography! Need Feedback!-photag-054.jpg   New to photography! Need Feedback!-photag-035-redone.jpg   New to photography! Need Feedback!-photag-053-redone.jpg   New to photography! Need Feedback!-photag-009.jpg  

Re: New to photography! Need Feedback!

Hey, a fellow Oregonian!
    Personally, I like the closeup/ocean trash the best out of all of them. I think it's a great shot. I'm just wondering if it isn't missing a little something, and I can't put my finger on it. The first thing that comes to mind is I'd like to see a little more squeezed in the frame... wider lens maybe? Perhaps if there was more ocean on the right? Maybe some more contrast in the background? At any rate, I think you have something there. On the contrast note, I thought it may look good in black and white (using the red channel). Let me know what you think. Very cool find, though!

The gulls and the branches is nice, but I'm thinking you may have cropped it a little close. Perhaps having a little more of the reflection of the branches in the wet sand would work better... making the dead tree the subject more than the birds. I'm not sure. It looks good, though. It captures the mood of the Oregon coast... which is usually wind blown, cold and a little fierce.

If you're just taking up the hobby, I'm a little jealous. These aren't bad.

Hope this helps!
    -Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to photography! Need Feedback!-beach-stuff.jpg  
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” –Edmund Burke

Thread Information