Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First attempt at portrait.

A friend asked me to take some shots of her, after i mentioned i was interested in getting some experience in portraits. here are the results.

I am after as much C&C as possible, as i will be doing another shoot with her sometime soon. Thanks alot guys.

Re: First attempt at portrait.

So what does your friend think?

The first one shows character and attitude. It's edgy and the body language supports the cigarette posturing. I'n not crazy about the framing. Her hands are cut off at the wrists. If it's a crop, I would go lower. If not, I would crop higher.

The second one is similarly moody and interesting, but is a little anonymous as a portrait. It could be many people under the hair and limited DOF.

I have several shots posted for critique as well. I would love to read what you think. Thanks for sharing.

First is excellent. Both are interesting.

Dyslexics of the world Untie! Nicci's Avatar
    Land of Vikings and Salty Black Licorice and ABBA!

I really like the feel of the second one although I think it could be a little lighter (or my computer screen could be better). I am not fond of her mouth on the first one and recrop her hands back in.

All opinions expressed by this person are purely that, opinions which means she doesn't actually know anything about photography.
    Nikon D90 newbie
    --------------------------------------
    My sad little flickr account
    My project 365

Thread Information