Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

new here some pics

Okay, Im new here and I was woundering what you guys think of some of my pictures, there may be a lot of pictures but i'll try and just pick out the ones I like the most.

My puppy misfit

With this I think it would have been better if I could have got the rest of her body in the pic

I dont know, or if anyone else agrees but I really like this picture, that is a pic of a stray cat that was hanging around by our house for awhile.

I would like this a lot better if my car wasnt in the background. Also is it just me or does it look a little slanted...?

I like this...

This was just a random picture I took, I think it would be a lot better if her hand wasnt blurry...

I really like this pic of my cat cherokee looking out the window

This is a cute pic but I could prolly crop out the part of her hand at the bottom of the pic

I dont know, there is something about this picture that makes me love to look at it. Maybe it has something to do with the person in the pic, but I just think it's really cool looking

I like this but I wish I wouldnt have cut out his finger on the left edge

This is two of my dogs in my backyard

In this pic the little kid, Orlando, looks mad...but the sun was just in his eyes

Ah thats good for now I guess...I hope it's not too many, please say what you wish about all the pics thanks

~Jamie
    Last edited by Jamie87; 06-25-2004 at 01:53 PM. Reason: some pics to large

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you learn as much from this place as I have.

Just some quick thoughts for you. It is really useful to let other members know what equipment you are using so when they are critiquing your photos they are aware of what options etc you have at your disposal. For example, your portraits capture lovely expressions on your subjects faces and it would be great to be able to enhance these by ensuring your background is blurred and therefore not distracting. If I knew you were using an SLR camera I would suggest you use a larger aperture, therefore creating a shallower depth of field. If you are using a point and shoot, I would know this isn't necessarily a useful suggestion and would suggest that you move your subjects further away from the background to ensure it is blurred. Does this make sense? anyway, letting us know what equipment you use is a valuable piece of the learning puzzle.

Also, it is a general rule of thumb to post no more than 5 images a day (and comment on just as many) and generally if you want in depth critiques (that are not simply about comparisons between the photos) I stick to one, maybe two photos at a time. Some exceptions to this might be if the photos are a series or like I said above you are looking for some help to work out which is the better shot etc.

You obviously have a love of candid portraiture (which I really love too) and this comes out in the expressions you capture so stick around - there are a lot of people here who will be able to teach you heaps.

As for my favourite - the first one of your puppy misfit - what a great capture of his playfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by frannymac
    If I knew you were using an SLR camera I would suggest you use a larger aperture, therefore creating a shallower depth of field. If you are using a point and shoot, I would know this isn't necessarily a useful suggestion and would suggest that you move your subjects further away from the background to ensure it is blurred.
    Franny, you don't need an SLR to have manual control over aperture, iso, shutterspeed and things like that, most descent non-SLR's have these options. ;)

Im sorry about too many pictures. Those were all shot with my crapy digital camera which is a Olympus says something about D-460 zoom...It's only 1.3 megs. It's not a bad camera for the price I got it for. I actually dont mind it.

Well thanks and I appreciate every thing and any thing people have to say...

I will put pics on here that I take with my minolta maxxum 5 but i'll do that later, maybe later tonight but I have a lot of film I want to devolp that I just took with that.

~Jamie

Talking Thanks JoeD

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD
    Franny, you don't need an SLR to have manual control over aperture, iso, shutterspeed and things like that, most descent non-SLR's have these options. ;)
    I thought it would be a useful way to explain why I was asking for that information. I did think the fact that I had mentioned it isn't "necessarily" a useful suggestion might suggest I wasn't referring to all P&S cameras. Sorry. My mistake.

Fran

Hi,
    I like the girl on the trolley shot. It is off-beat. The pale face of the girl adds a lot of characters.
    All the best.
    yoyo

Yeah, the girl in the shopping cart is by far my favorite--very out of the ordinary. I'm guessing you captured this while hanging out? Interesting idea

Re: new here some pics

Hey. I once had a dog of a similar breed, and I miss my dog very much. We all want that living in the same house with a pet was pleasant and comfortable for all of you. Therefore, provide regular grooming to your dog. You will find many useful tips for taking care of your dog on this site Care of My Dog. And so that he does not cause discontent in the pets adhere to several principles.
    Make it a rule to regularly examine your pet's fur looking for rashes and parasites. If you notice any unpleasant symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately, who will prescribe a treatment program.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you learn as much from this place as I have.

Just some quick thoughts for you. It is really useful to let other members know what equipment you are using so when they are critiquing your photos they are aware of what options etc you have at your disposal. For example, your portraits capture lovely expressions on your subjects faces and it would be great to be able to enhance these by ensuring your background is blurred and therefore not distracting. If I knew you were using an SLR camera I would suggest you use a larger aperture, therefore creating a shallower depth of field. If you are using a point and shoot, I would know this isn't necessarily a useful suggestion and would suggest that you move your subjects further away from the background to ensure it is blurred. Does this make sense? anyway, letting us know what equipment you use is a valuable piece of the learning puzzle.

Also, it is a general rule of thumb to post no more than 5 images a day (and comment on just as many) and generally if you want in depth critiques (that are not simply about comparisons between the photos) I stick to one, maybe two photos at a time. Some exceptions to this might be if the photos are a series or like I said above you are looking for some help to work out which is the better shot etc.

Nice shot. Especially the light and texture

Thread Information