Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Apples in the rain

This is something I have been playing around with for a week or so now. What are your thoughts on these? It's easy to set this up and redo it so feel free to give you your suggestions. I like the first image better, but it's hard to see the "rain". Is the side lighting in the 2nd image too harsh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apples in the rain-crw_0692.jpg   Apples in the rain-crw_0865.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

MB1

Re: Apples in the rain

I like the first one better but you are right, I don't see the rain.

I don't care for the streaks in the second.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thanks for your thoughts MB.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I really like that first one--with the soft color of the apples contrasted against the B&W background. Perhaps you could call it "Apples after the rain". I don't find the second one appealing at all.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Thanks for the feedback RS.

I did set this up and reshot some pics yesterday, but didn't have time to download them. I used two different sprinklers in the shots above, and different lighting angles. The first shot was lit from the front, the sencond from the side. Side and backlighting seems to make the "rain" show up much better than front light. I like the "rain" the sprinkler I used in the first pick much better than the 2nd but it just isn't that visible with the front lighting.

I'll keep trying until I get the shot I want or until I eat all the apples.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Michael, in the first shot maybe you could simply keep the drops on the apples and let go of the "rain" altogether....

As for the second yes i would say the light is a bit harsh, and maybe a faster shutter would be more preferable...

personally though, like everyone else, i prefer the 1st shot...

Looking forward to see the rest of them!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment Marc.

I went through my latest patch of pics I took the other night, and I'm getting much closer to the look I want. I'm not thrilled with the composition in these shots, but the drops of water are what I'm after. Looks like I will be reshooting these again.

For these photos, I used a different sprinkler than I used for the second pic in the original post, and I also used back lighting instead of side lighting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apples in the rain-crw_0898.jpg   Apples in the rain-crw_0906.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I like the second sprinkler more...

I think these are good "test" shots... preparing for the final shoot!

Will be looking forward to the final version then!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Mike, I think the apples spilling out of the bucket is the better composition and while the other scene is getting better as you go, it still does not do anything for me.
    I think that with the spilling apples shot, you should have it done on a different surface other than the grass, perhaps an old rustic table or even a dirt road. Maybe the grass could work but bringing back some color to it may help. also, there looks to be some white paper? in the grass near the apples.This does not look right. Maybe without that I would like the grass setting more.
    Lots of potential with that set up.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I think the white paper is leaves that weren't selective coloured.
    The selective colouring could be improved, as parts of the leaves next to the two apples closest to the camera are partially coloured.
    I'd suggest removing the leaves from the shot, or leaving selective colour on them too.

The rain effect in the second set is much better, as is the splash from the apple in the centre.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thnaks very much for the feedback and suggestions Gary and Paul.

Gary, I really like your suggestions for a new setting for this shot. As PAul said, the white paper is actually leaves. I added the leaves to give the image a feeling of fall.

PAul, Thanks for your imput. I will play with this some more do a version with the leaves in color and see how that looks. The final version that I printed is a little better as far as the selective color goes. The leaves in the front are not colored at all in that version.

I'll keep playing with this idea. Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments everyone!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

GB1

Hmm. Overall I think you're on the right track here. I like the idea and the arrangement(s). The lighting is probably a little harsh and the pix somehow look over-processed..........(?) But that could be the frame and drop shadow.

I would suggest trying again in less harsh lighting. Good everything else.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information