Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Pink

Pink

I got this guy last Saturday morning. I thought it was a kinda nice shot with the way the light is hitting the bird.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pink-34607945.jpg  

Re: Pink

You mean they can fly? They don't just stand around all the time? (It is a flamingo, right?)

Nice colors, nice light, and good composition. I don't have any suggestions; I think it is a fine shot.

Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by dadas115
    I got this guy last Saturday morning. I thought it was a kinda nice shot with the way the light is hitting the bird.

Greg

Thanks for your comment. This one is a roseate spoonbill. I am from Houston, TX and we don’t normally have flamingos here but there was one not too far from here in TX City a couple of months ago and it made all the newspapers and the local news. Lots of people were driving down to the coast to go look at it.

Greg

Wow, you stopped this guy dead in his tracks... er... flight. Great stuff. How far away were you?

I was pretty close to this one, he flew right in front of me on the way to the lake. He was actually starting to turn around for a landing. This shot is almost the full frame, I only cropped it a small amount.

Greg

Greg
    Really nice shot. I saw one of these two days ago for the first time in the wild (in Florida.) I thought it was a flamingo at first, till I spotted the bill. Alas, my shot wasn;'t as good as yours.

Greg
    Very nice shot. I like the wing position you caught and the shadow of one wing on the other. It seems a bit dark to me.

It is interesting to me that you say that the picture is dark. I just calibrated my monitors at home yesterday and I thought the picture looked to be a tad on the bright side. I wonder if anyone else finds this shot to be dark. Maybe that monitor spider was a waste of money. I must say that I am thrilled with the colors I have been seeing since I got it though but I haven’t made any prints with its profile yet.

Thanks for your comment.

Greg

It is interesting to me that you say that the picture is dark. I just calibrated my monitors at home yesterday and I thought the picture looked to be a tad on the bright side. I wonder if anyone else finds this shot to be dark. Maybe that monitor spider was a waste of money. I must say that I am thrilled with the colors I have been seeing since I got it though but I haven’t made any prints with its profile yet.

Thanks for your comment.

Greg
    I'm not calibrated here so that may be the reason. I'm also not sure how bright the bird is in nature.
    When I looked at the histogram I thought the white point could come down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

YES, this is on the dark side ;)

Having seen and photographed a few(in houston amoung other places), I can tell you....

you have got me beat here. FLIGHT shots of roseate spoonbills this close are NOT in my collection

The closest wing blocking the body and slight going away angle are what keeps this from being a TEXTBOOK flight image (of which I have far too little myself)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

THanks for your comment. Here's another from that same day:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pink-hl8j0455-600.jpg  

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Now That's What I'm Talking About :d
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information