Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Yes or No?

Yes or No?

This was taken on the ferry. I don't usually take shots of moving things, but this time I held the camera to my eye till the entire scene happened just the way I wanted. That while the ferry was rocking. lol Not sure if it turned out right. is it sharp enough? What would you do? This is a crop of a pic that showed more sky. Do anything you like and repost.
    Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Re: Yes or No?

For anything other than snapshots, I prefer crops that mimic the ratio of the original frame. On more unnatural crops it just gives me the feeling something has been left out as a quick fix. I have a feeling this is only MY personal preference so take my opinion lightly

Greg..

You got a good point there. I kind of like square crops, but I'll show you the original. I kind of like it better because theres more sky. Problem is, on here it will be hard to see because its so small. I also desaturated the sky a bit in the cropped one up top.
    Also, here's a pic of the two before the trouble maker came.(no crop)
    Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    This was taken on the ferry. I don't usually take shots of moving things, but this time I held the camera to my eye till the entire scene happened just the way I wanted. That while the ferry was rocking. lol Not sure if it turned out right. is it sharp enough? What would you do? This is a crop of a pic that showed more sky. Do anything you like and repost.
    Kit
    Kit: I like your first crop. The action really takes place within the frame and there is nowhere for our eyes to go but within the frame (otherwise we will get lost in the big nothingness of the sky)... You might even consider cropping a bit more on the left, but the third bird would have nowhere to look...

The shot is sharp, DOF is appropriate, and the exposure is top. Technically speaking, everything in my book says: good job!

Everything but...

... the wing of the flying bird merges with the flag. This is the only major composition problem that I can see. In Landscape photo, I spend lots of time trying to avoid merging objects. But for action stuff... well this is very hard. I will try to clone out part of the wing and see what happens.

If I get something interesting, do you mind if I append it to my next post. I do not want to ruffle your feathers!

Cheers,

Steph.

Steph

No, not at all! Notice on my original post I said to do that! Anyone can do anything to any of my pics at any time and I would love it. Thank you.
    I agree about the merging bird. What happened is that I didn't allow for shutter lag. I snapped it in the perfect spot, then when I looked at it, it was touching. grr. Hope your idea works.
    Kit

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Re: Steph

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    No, not at all! Notice on my original post I said to do that! Anyone can do anything to any of my pics at any time and I would love it. Thank you.
    I agree about the merging bird. What happened is that I didn't allow for shutter lag. I snapped it in the perfect spot, then when I looked at it, it was touching. grr. Hope your idea works.
    Kit
    I thought that the D70 did not have shutter lag? Oooh.. I am confused now.

Ok here it is. I actually moved the whole bird instead of cloning out a piece of wing!

Cheers,

Steph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yes or No?-birdy.jpg  

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

I actually like the original (full frame) shot better, I think of birds as "free" and the first crop seems too confined for them, whereas the original composition gives them space to roam.. I like the way that the bird on top of the pole seems to be talking to the one flying up. I think this would of been a good shot, had there not been so much "clutter" around the pole, IMO it distracts....But if there were no clutter, where would the birds sit? Yea, i know .... Can't have it both ways i guess!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Thread Information