Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Natalia again - portrait

Found a new plug-in for "vintage" shots. Took some tweeking to make it my own, but I think I'm pretty happy with the results, at least for shots that are either B&W or color that don't contain much blue. This particular shot started as a B&W. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Natalia again - portrait-vintage_jje2396.jpg  

Re: Natalia again - portrait

I can see why you like the effect. The saturation is a bit high for my taste, especially if the idea is to make it appear 'vintage'.

Love the effect here, Jim. The pose is great. I agree about a bit too much saturation, and personally i would like to see a bit less contrast with some more fill and shadow detail even if it gets grainy in pulling it out, it would go fine with the overall feel. Also, I think removing the trace of the earings as its a bit unclear as to what they are at first. these are all nitpiks.....

Really good stuff.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Both EXCELLENT suggestions! Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Natalia again - portrait-vintage2_jje2396.jpg  

This is looking fantastic.... one last thing now, there are saturated traces of pinkish tones around the edges of shadow highlight that I think would look better eliminated or reduced most noticeable on the edge of her left hand and the forehead. Not even sure if removing it is warranted as the whole thing really looks excellent as it is.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

The 2nd version is definitely a keeper. I too didn't like the oversaturation of the first but the effect is well done. it does look very vintage. the composition, pose and eye contact are all excellent also.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    This is looking fantastic.... one last thing now, there are saturated traces of pinkish tones around the edges of shadow highlight that I think would look better eliminated or reduced most noticeable on the edge of her left hand and the forehead. Not even sure if removing it is warranted as the whole thing really looks excellent as it is.
    Kinda like it on the forehead but agree about the hand now that you mention it. quick fix w/ the sponge brush :wink5:

Beautiful portrait, and as excellent as the edit is, when I think of "vintage" portraits of this type they tended to have a rather heavy saturated look - maybe not as much as the initial post, but more than what you ended up with. However, the only constructive suggestion I can offer is the area where you cloned out the earring under the left hand looks a little blotchy. Very nice work!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

GB1

This one looks like a window to the past Jet. I think you intended it as such, and it works. The pose and effect give it an old-time feel, perhaps a pic of an immigrant to NYC? I am more drawn to the 2nd image as far as color or lack thereof, as it doesn't 'hit me' as hard, making it possible to view it longer.

My only nit would be to increase the resolution / decrease the grain, as it looks maybe too jagged (softening it a tad may get it there).

Your work's really progressing ... Pretty soon you're going to be giving classes!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

the edit is fantastic!

the first version was too much and i did not know what to comment as you seem to really like it,
    comparing both version seems the details which seem more noticeable in the edit are also present in the first one but I got distracted by the saturation

Thread Information