Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Just Lurking

Dome of the Rock

I took this in Jerusalem last year. I think I got pretty lucky with the lighting since a storm was just clearing out. I'm not sure that I can do a whole lot about it, but what works and what doesn't?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dome of the Rock-p1030721.jpg  

Re: Dome of the Rock

You were certainly blessed with the light. I've been to Jerusalem twice and never managed to get light shining on the dome like that. Very well done. What viewpoint did you have there? About the only thing I would suggest is lightening up slightly the background - not too much, just a little.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

I like it exactly as it is. The background could be lightened but then you wouldn't have the same feel to the image. To get lighting like that is once in a lifetime.

Just like Ansel Adams once said..."Somtimes you get there just as god is ready for you to click the shutter"...... or something like that.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

What excellent lighting on the dome. I agree with Mike about the background being a tad dark, but that is a lovely shot. Makes me want to jump on a plane.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Just Lurking

Thanks for the kind responses. I wish I had something more to do with this, but I agree that I was very fortunate to be at this particular point at this particular time. From one of the earlier comments, this was taken from the roof of a home near there, in the jewish quarter. Old Jerusalem is a wonderful place to take pictures. I'll have to see if I can post some in the gallery (but I have to figure out how to do that).

A really nice shot with great lighting. I feel all of those direct TV dishes takes away from the image though. I might would take the time to remove as many as I could. I also wish I could see the entire dome. Is it possible to shot further left so the tower isn't in the way?
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Great shot. I would burn it in to darken just a touch at the bottom to hold the photo into the frame.

Thread Information