Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

N.Y.C. Water Tower b&w

Something about these old water towers that have a somewhat unsightly appearance, while at the same time are interesting, beautiful in their own way and define the New YorkCity rooftops. These towers provide water pressure for their buildings upon which they stand. Some modern structures have tried hiding their towers with shields or walls, but I like the sight of these towers out in full view.
    I like this shot as I feel it captures the sight of the tower against the vast open sky. Some might think there is too much sky, but I think it helps the feel I was trying to capture.Approx 140mm zoom and polarizer, Fuji reala 100,converted to b&w What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N.Y.C. Water Tower  b&w-watertower0904-031403xbwweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Gary...

Dang, that is an old one. The shot looks like it could have been taken in the 50's. As for the sky thing, I'm one of the ones who think it is too much. I would like to see the water tower being a little more prominent. Nice feel to the photo.
    Kit

Good tones and a nice shot of what looks to be a very old structure. You state that you are aware of the amount of sky and if you like it that's good. I too would have mentioned it...when I crop this into a square it looks good to me that way as well.

Good job.

Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Something about these old water towers that have a somewhat unsightly appearance, while at the same time are interesting, beautiful in their own way and define the New YorkCity rooftops. These towers provide water pressure for their buildings upon which they stand. Some modern structures have tried hiding their towers with shields or walls, but I like the sight of these towers out in full view.
    I like this shot as I feel it captures the sight of the tower against the vast open sky. Some might think there is too much sky, but I think it helps the feel I was trying to capture.Approx 140mm zoom and polarizer, Fuji reala 100,converted to b&w What do you think?
    A nice shot Gary. I wonder how many of those old structures are actually in use and how much longer we'll see them in the skylines.
    The last time I went down to the Art Institute in Chicago I happend to notice several interesting old watertowers around the Loop area and thought about suggesting them as a sort of mini project within Seb's Chicago get together. Whatd'ya think Seb?

Shesells, Tuna. . .Thanks for your comments. . .yeah , I understand your liking perhaps less sky, but t's just a personal preference. This will actually be just one in a series of shots from water towers. Most of these towers I believe are in use providing the pressure for these buildings.
    Chunk, thanks as always, your comments are helpful. . the positve ones and the critiques. A series of shots of these towers are what I had in mind as well . They have lots of different sizes, shapes, and character. Sounds like a good idea about you and Seb doing a series as well. When we have all completed a good series of shots on these, we can show them up in the viewfinder.
    This is another shot of the same tower, just zoomed in close cropped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N.Y.C. Water Tower  b&w-watertower0904-011401xbwweb.jpg  

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Shesells, Tuna. . .Thanks for your comments. . .yeah , I understand your liking perhaps less sky, but t's just a personal preference. This will actually be just one in a series of shots from water towers. Most of these towers I believe are in use providing the pressure for these buildings.
    Chunk, thanks as always, your comments are helpful. . the positve ones and the critiques. A series of shots of these towers are what I had in mind as well . They have lots of different sizes, shapes, and character. Sounds like a good idea about you and Seb doing a series as well. When we have all completed a good series of shots on these, we can show them up in the viewfinder.
    This is another shot of the same tower, just zoomed in close cropped.
    Some of them have remnants of old advertisements on them or old corporate logos to make them even more photogenic.

I like this one a lot better, a more balanced composition in my view. I like the stairs coming out of a corner as a strong diagonal and leading the eye to the water tower and the simplicity of the wall; there were too many distractions in the first shot. I personally think that 'less' turned out to be 'better' in this shot.

Well done Gary. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Some of them have remnants of old advertisements on them or old corporate logos to make them even more photogenic.

Yes, agreed. . others also have graffiti painted on the sides from long ago when graffiti was popular.Giving a very old city feel to it.

Elysian,
    Thanks for the comments. I agree with you on the simplicity of the shot making it more effective and the stairs leading diagonally up to the tower.
    I think what I like about the first shot so much is it is just the way I see it when standing on the street looking up. Somehow it's not just about the tower alone but the vast sky behind and above and also the old buildings with their detail and age upon which these towers sit. Thanks again, your points and comments are much appreciated.

gary

Gary..

I can't tell you how much of an improvment that is in my eyes. It takes it from the sky being the subject to the water tower being it. Much much better and a great photograph. I especially like water towers that have the name of the city on them. There has been books made of those kind of pics from the 50's and it's nolstalgic. The ones you get today will also be nostalgic one day because they will probably have a different method of holding water eventually. Just a thought. As Elysian mentioned, the shot contains well thought out design elements.
    Kit

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    Gary, I missed this thread when you posted!! I Really like the idea that you will be doing a series of Water Towers, and look forward to viewing them!

Image #1 My eye was drawn to the window below the tower I found it very interesting, and then to the clouds, the water tower was an added plus, If it were mine, I would of gone with a square crop, to keep the eye going from the window & balcony, to the clouds and then to the tower and back again, but I understand your personal preference with having more sky...

Image #2, wow, Wonderful shot! love the levels of shadows and highlights on this one, I think thats what drew me to the window in the first one, was the shadows created by the railing and the "awnings"... lots of details to enjoy in this shot,the brick, the discoloration of the tower itself, and the steps....

Congrats!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

I like the second post a lot more. Elysian and Kit have said it all.

Nice work.

Tuna

Yes, the second one. It's a very strong shot where the first one was a little more confusing what you were trying to show me. No question what the subject is here in this one, and the diagonal adds to it.

I think these are unique to NY, don't remember seeing these anywhere else (at least commonly). Could you get access to a higher place to shoot from? You could put some of the NYC skyline in the background possibly... I was there a couple of years ago and had quite a few right outside my hotel window. Wrong side of the building though!

Gary
    What a great shot. Interesting definitely, great set up too. I enjoy the framing of your first shot, rather than the second (its a great shot too) I like that they sky is very dominant in that first one, however the image just seems long- perhaps only a small snip off the top, keeping the sky dominant but just shortening the length of the image?

Cheers
    VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thread Information