Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My Gal, Millie G.

Moo,

Thanks for the suggestion, I can certainly do a re-shoot and will give that a try. Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    Your photo doesn't need photoshopping, what you need to do is go back and reshoot using a smaller aperture. Those bright blown out lights will come out like stars. You'll love the effect.
    Perhaps, but they would still distract the viewer's eye from the centre of interest.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    Your photo doesn't need photoshopping, what you need to do is go back and reshoot using a smaller aperture. Those bright blown out lights will come out like stars. You'll love the effect.
    Interesting tip, I have always had problems with blowing out lights. I usally shot at around F/11 @ night. What would be a better choice?
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Greg/Ronnoco:

For what it is worth, this shot was a 5.6 for 10 seconds.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

That's interesting CF, I figure since you already are on a tripod why not use a higher F/stop and most things I have read recommend F/11 or 16, I thought, for night shots. But you seem to be doing pretty good your way. I like your night pictures and look forward to seeing them...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Gary,

I bracket the shots from one end of the f-stop range to the other and take what comes. Some shots work well with low end and some work better with the high end. I am not sophisticated enough to have created a style that says, "my night shots are all.....", fill in the blank. I shoot what is there and hope for the best. I always appreciate your comments and hope you continue to make whatever suggestions you feel will make the shots better.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Hey CF, I'll be glad to help you next time you go down to the pier at night and take some shots,now if you'll just wire me 400 bucks for plane fare,I'll be right there!;)
    Wonderful photo and the PS fix as well!
    Steve B.

Thanks CF for the info. I was just picking your head a little. I think you do well with the night thing. If you could remember your settings I would love for you to post them with your pictures
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Greg/conbu:

I really need to start including the tech. data with the shots, I just never remember to do it. Mental note made.

As for the $400, I'll send you the airfare to SD if you send me the airfare to NY. I'll take you on some night photo sessions here if you will take me on some in NY. I have been to NY on several occasions but always on business and never with time to include serious photography.

Thanks for the comments just the same.

CF

P.S. Ronnoco did the PS work on the shot. And a very nice job indeed.
    Coastal Flyer

Yes, shrackman is right about stopping down giving some great effects for night shots. I have also found, at least when I was shooting with film, that over exposing (from what the camera exposure meter suggested at evaluative metering setting) about 1 stop works very well for most night scenes.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Yes, shrackman is right about stopping down giving some great effects for night shots. I have also found, at least when I was shooting with film, that over exposing (from what the camera exposure meter suggested at evaluative metering setting) about 1 stop works very well for most night scenes.
    CF's exposure was close to perfect. Any increase would have caused even more of a problem in the bright background and other highlight areas.

One stop over definitely does not work well for any high contrast night scenes in digital.

Ronnoco
    Last edited by Ronnoco; 12-14-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information