Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

my first serious attempt at nature photgraphy

It's actually my first attempt at any sort of photography, but my parents just bought me a D70, and of course I love it. Any tips would be sweet:

Also in a recent tirp to paris I had a chance to use out my camera for the first time (these DLSR's are tricky) but I really like this shot:

And this one of my sister:

Last edited by MTBsSd; 05-05-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Re: my first serious attempt at nature photgraphy

Welcome to the boards and a pleasure to have you on the site. With your shot, there are alot of things you could've used to make this much better. The focusing is off for me, the DOF is lacking, and it seems you have some motion blur going on. The subject sure seems great, yet the picture just has too much technically wrong it's distracting.

Welcome to the boards, and I hope I don't sound harsh,

Jared

ya I get what your saying, I did have some that were in focus but they seemed just like everything else that I've seen. I thought maybe it was a bit more origional but after looking at it again your definitely right. not harsh at all, and thanks.

Oh ya, what is DOF?

welcome...i love that first street shot makes me feel like im in the shot...great work!
    thanks for sharing

todd

First two are throw aways, but the 3rd is outstanding. I love it.

Stick around here, you'll learn loads just from these forums, and the galleries.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

DOF - Depth of Field.

I must say, I didn't see your other pics before I posted my original critique. Your third one is awesome, love the zoom effect, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    DOF - Depth of Field.

I must say, I didn't see your other pics before I posted my original critique. Your third one is awesome, love the zoom effect, very nice!
    Total tunnelvision!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I like the simplicity and starkness of the statue and that third shot is terrific. I'm not sure I've ever seen a shot with more sense of motion for the viewer. The timing was perfect and the soom effect puts it way over the top. Nice work. Keep posting.
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MTBsSd
    It's actually my first attempt at any sort of photography, but my parents just bought me a D70, and of course I love it. Any tips would be sweet:

Also in a recent tirp to paris I had a chance to use out my camera for the first time (these DLSR's are tricky) but I really like this shot:

And this one of my sister:

Welcome. The first one is kind of a throw-away, at least for me. DIfferent doesn't mean good. You need something in focus. Picture the same shot with the bird's torso in focusm, but with some motion blur from the wings.

The second is way cool and well framed.

The third looks like a throw-away shot you tried to redeem with a cheezy photoshop effect.

All these comments read a little pointedley. No offense meant - just being concise. If you disagree, just remember that my free advice may be worth what you paid for it.

I LOVE the last one. It just draws your eyes right into it! But I agree, the first 2 are throw aways.

Thanks for all the posts. Ya the first two really aren't any good, but thanks for the tips on how to make them better. To lava lamp, no worries man I definitely appreciate the comments. Only thing is that I'm no where near good enough to do that in photoshop...

First welcome to the boards and thanks for sharing these images with us. I have to agree with the comments about the first two images, just don't make it. However the third image and the zoom technique really grabed me. I wih little sister had been a little sharper in focus. I'm betting you did this hand held. Try the same thing sometime with the camera on a tripod and I think you will like the results even better. Keep posting and that D70 will get to be a very treasured tool.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    First welcome to the boards and thanks for sharing these images with us. I have to agree with the comments about the first two images, just don't make it. However the third image and the zoom technique really grabed me. I wih little sister had been a little sharper in focus. I'm betting you did this hand held. Try the same thing sometime with the camera on a tripod and I think you will like the results even better. Keep posting and that D70 will get to be a very treasured tool.
    I actually don't have a tripod, any advice on what kind to get?

Quote Originally Posted by MTBsSd
    I actually don't have a tripod, any advice on what kind to get?
    There are several out there that would fill the bill. I have a Bogen that I like, and I would think that a ball head would be best for ease of use. I might even suggest that you take a look at a monpod. I use mine more than the tripod especially with the longer lens. They are less expensive and easy to carry and use. They give you good stability and help eliminate camera movement and you can easily use them on pan shots. I would also say to stay away form the cheaper Wal-Mart type tri-pods generally not as stable or do'nt have the adjustments you need.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Were you trying to focus on the male tree swallow in flight when you took the bird image? If so....

I assure you that even my far faster focusing 1D has trouble with that! GREAT try, but delete

I have deleted 1000's of out of focus birds in flight images, so I feel your pain!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

ya it didn't really turn out, but that's half my crappy lens, half my crappy skills. What is a good telephoto to hook up to a D70?

learning member

[QUOTE=MTBsSd]It's actually my first attempt at any sort of photography, but my parents just bought me a D70, and of course I love it. Any tips would be sweet:

My goodness, dont throw these away! You just got you're camera! You cant possibly expect to take great photos right away!
    I least like the statue, and its probably the best technicaly. The shot of you're sister makes me feel like i'm there. And the birds are dreamy and surreal.
    I'm not saying that these are great but don't toss them unless you want to. And dont be too hasty if you do pitch em.
    I really like the bird shot!
    Mark.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

TO ME.... 400F2.8 AFSII , BUT that is just a pipe dream to 99% of us average people

Birds in flight at that range would be very hard beyond a AFS type lens, but with proper prefocusing(very essential in most wildlife imagery), handholding technique and panning even a "crappy" lens can do the trick ;)

Not knowing your budget or seriousness in that range , it would be very hard for me to suggest a lens besides a 70-300 type, 300f4 , 80-200F2.8 with TC , 80-400 OS (sigma) or 80-400 VR (nikon)....

Then there is the lens I started shooting handheld images of bird on film with... USED tokina 400f5.6 ATX! They can be found for $200(well used) - $400(very near new) . While it will not focus fast enough to track the swallow scene you shot(I can't think of any sub $1200 lens that will reliably), it will DEFINATELY be a GREAT lens to start with in my KNOWLEDGABLE opinion ;)

IF you do get the tokina 400(and it's not defective) you will be happy!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    TO ME.... 400F2.8 AFSII , BUT that is just a pipe dream to 99% of us average people

Birds in flight at that range would be very hard beyond a AFS type lens, but with proper prefocusing(very essential in most wildlife imagery), handholding technique and panning even a "crappy" lens can do the trick ;)

Not knowing your budget or seriousness in that range , it would be very hard for me to suggest a lens besides a 70-300 type, 300f4 , 80-200F2.8 with TC , 80-400 OS (sigma) or 80-400 VR (nikon)....

Then there is the lens I started shooting handheld images of bird on film with... USED tokina 400f5.6 ATX! They can be found for $200(well used) - $400(very near new) . While it will not focus fast enough to track the swallow scene you shot(I can't think of any sub $1200 lens that will reliably), it will DEFINATELY be a GREAT lens to start with in my KNOWLEDGABLE opinion ;)

IF you do get the tokina 400(and it's not defective) you will be happy!
    sweet I'll check into it, thanks

mdmc: I think I'll end up just burning them to a CD, then looking back on them 10 years down the road to see how far I've progressed, thanks though =)

Thread Information