Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

My 1st Photo Shoot!

Hi Everyone,

I am a beginner and still have a lot to learn. I'd apprecaite any constructive criticism you can provide on the photos I did below:

GB1

Re: My 1st Photo Shoot!

IndieGirl - Congratulations on your first model shoot. I think you're off to a good start. The images have a playful, B movie look. I like the concept of the puppet. The angle you took it at seems to work and I love the model's head tilt. I am not sure about the background however; seems to command too much of my attention (interestingly though, I do like the floor being checkered).

The 2nd shot is more classical and is very well composed by you and posed by the model. What it lacks though is good frontal lighting. Her face seems too flatly lit, I think. A separate light -- not too bright -- would help here. I like the background. Could be sharper, but the style of the shoot makes that acceptable,

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Hi Indie Girl, and welcome to the forum.

I have always liked the "puppet girl" concept and you have done pretty well with it here, it seems. The images you posted are very small (you can post as large as 800px and the long side) and so its difficult to see if you did a good job on the photoshop edits in making her"parts"

I'm not sure I like the perspective in looking down at the subject making her legs short and stumpy, but it has whimsy and certainly can go with the puppet concept. The lighting on the subject feels a bit awkward in that the hair is very dark as well as the eyes, then there is strong light on the lower part of the face and breasts then dark again. Then the shins are lit very strong with shadows on the floor behind them. Good choice with floor and background, although the bg is very brightly lit more so than the subject and so it competes for attention.
    Asise from these things that cross my mind when viewing it for critique, I do like the image on the whole and enjoy your creativity with it.

The second image I like. The styling is good and the models expression is good. I think her face needs a little more illumination in this image, as GB pointed out. There appears to be some evidence of photoshop work around the edges of her hair perhaps from swapping backgrounds?

All in all, really good stuff and enjoyable concepts. Looking forward to more from you!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Very nice start I love the concept. There is space for improvement on the illumination. Always take in consideration that hair light. Well the rest has been commented already good images:thumbsup:

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

These are rockin' portraits for a first time. Theatrical and creative setup - I like the checkerboards and the marionette pose very much! The second one does appear as though it's had a background swap and the crop feels a little funny, I think you gave her the Venus de Milo. Loosen the crop to either include the elbows or bring it in to just her upper torso and face. Great start! Looking for more!

Edit: Eeerch! Wait a minute! These are all composites! Better still, I didn't notice the true joints on the "marionette" until I went for a third look. Need slightly larger pictures uploaded for more accurate viewing, but after I got up close to the monitor.... Wow! Nice job indeed!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Hard to critique such a tiny photo, upload some that are 800 pixels wide, not 450. The image is way too small to see any substantive detail. I think I agree with Gary's observation about the exagerated perspective on hte first photo being excessive, but at that resolution, I can barely see any detail around her joints, and again, hard to tell.

Welcome to the forums!
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Beginner, huh. Riiiiight.

These are great. I prefer #1 overall. The perspective is really odd - very Alice In Wonderland - but it actually adds to the image. What jumps out as needing attention is that the hair - on top of her head, particularly - looks cut out. You can add some hair back in or do a more refined job cutting the original hair out with channels. And also take the lighting into consideration, especially when you know you'll be compositing.

#2 is great, too, for what it is, but is much more pedestrian. It is well-done, but nowhere near as effective or compelling to me.

skin tone and w/b is questionable.

So Where is the OP. I'm fairly new here but I already seen that two persons sign in create an account get the benefits of good criticism and then just disappear not even with a thanks.

I consider that very irresponsible and very rude at least I'm not taking from my time to write a comment to help someone and then not even and acknowledge from the OP :mad5::nono:. Is funny because this person state this is her first shooting but use Knockout and Cloning PS techniques that are very advance to achieve, or at least you need a lot of practice in PS How you get that from the beginning ?

Phil's right. The skin is way too orange/yellow, as well.

http://www.indiegirlphoto.com/

found a web site, indie girl, from PA, sylvia... hmm...

She sure does charge a lot for a beginner.

Though she does have about 4 photo's entirely to her gallery.

Anyway, I agree with Wilsan, she just came by, dropped off an image (a tiny one), expected us to actually critique her tiny photo and left. I don't know how she can really expect a serious critique on that tiny photo, the girls legs are like 4 pixels wide, you can't see anything.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 06-06-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    - Charlie

Nice concept.

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    Beginner, huh. Riiiiight.
    That's what I said.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
    skin tone and w/b is questionable.
    What could she do to make it better? Remember, part of good criticism is offering solution
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    What could she do to make it better? Remember, part of good criticism is offering solution
    Wasted efforts for a hit and run lol.
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Wasted efforts for a hit and run lol.
    LOL totally agree.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Well that's disappointing! I guess it's SEO planting or some such thing. That would be my guess. Too bad. I would love to have had some actual conversation about these and see them at a bit better resolution.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Thread Information