Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Chris

"Mr. Hand" at On The Waterfront festival

This is a band of 16 year old high school students that performed at Illinois' largest music festival.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Mr. Hand" at On The Waterfront festival-mr.-hand-68web.jpg   "Mr. Hand" at On The Waterfront festival-mr.-hand-28web.jpg   "Mr. Hand" at On The Waterfront festival-mr.-hand-82web.jpg  

Re: "Mr. Hand" at On The Waterfront festival

Hmm, they are good pictures, but they seem kind of out of place in the critique section. Did you take them as part of an assignment? I think to give a critique for these kind of pictures, it would help to know why they were taken.

My thought is when shooting bands you should try for the most action, jumping, spinning, facial expressions etc... The quality of your image is right on but I think more expression/emotion is called for.

Jim B.

Chris

In response to the first post, yes, it was part of an assignment. I was asked by the festival to shoot as many of the acts as I could. In response to the second post, thanks for the response. This band is a bunch of 16 year olds and this was their first big break. On The Waterfront is the largest musical festival in Illinois, attracting about 350,000 people. They were pretty scared when they took the stage and were just trying to get through their set and didn't too much on stage. I was just curious about what other shooters thought about the images. Thanks again.

I can't explain why, but knowing they were taken as part of an assignment has made my opinion of the pictures higher. I'm trying to figure out why I like some pictures more than others, as well as take good pictures myself.

Chris

Thanks for the response. I took pictures of much larger bands such as Darryl Worley, SHeDAISY and Cheap Trick at this festival but I wanted to capture photos of a band that was just starting out. I wanted to see how they responded to the large crowd and the media attention.

It's nice to have the character solos, but I'd like to see several shots of the band together, or several members interacting while engaged in music making. Ok, now that you've let cat out of the bag, and we know that they were nervous (as 16 year olds, first big gig, 350Kpeople, etc) I need to SEE that they are nervous! That would be your money shot in 15 years.

I really like the shot of the girl, but it's tight on her right (to our left) arm. White tshirt boy is recognizable and demonstrates some reserved character (nervous? not blatantly) Green tshirt boy could be in his own back yard; where's the context for the shots?
    /..

Thread Information