Morning at the Dock

Printable View

• 05-08-2011, 04:14 PM
    Greg McCary
    Morning at the Dock
    Well I had a moonlite shot, now for a sunrise. I went to cover another subject but it was a wash out and I didn't have any other prop. So this is what I came up with.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5110/...c91b2d14_b.jpg
    Morning at the Dock by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr
  • 05-08-2011, 05:12 PM
    Don Schaeffer
    Re: Morning at the Dock
    Clever use of a foreground.
  • 05-08-2011, 05:12 PM
    armando_m
    Impressive colors!

The composition adding the shoes on the deck make the viewer something else to see other than a colorful palette

It is surprising the balance of light between the shoes and the sky
  • 05-08-2011, 07:57 PM
    BrandyWWW
    I absolutely love this photo. The colors are so beautiful and make me instantly feel a sense of relaxation just looking at it! The shoes give me the sense that someone just took a long run and found a lovely place to relax and watch a beautiful sunrise :) I also really love the detail of the wood on the deck, it really adds to it for me
  • 05-08-2011, 10:52 PM
    gahspidy
    Nicely done, Greg. Saw it on your Flickr page. The sneakers as a prop work. They add a bit of a story for the viewer to ponder over.
    Good work
  • 05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
    snoid
    I hope the water wasn't too cold.
    Nothing else to critique.
    Picture perfect........................:)
  • 05-09-2011, 03:38 AM
    Greg McCary
    Thanks all. This started out on a venture into time lapse. But I wasn't to happy with it. This was the first picture in the sequence. I know now why most time lapse vidoes are of sunsets and not sunrises.LOL
    Maybe I should just stick to stills.
  • 05-09-2011, 03:49 AM
    hminx
    The only thing I could think to add would be a pair of shorts,otherwise top notch shot
    Greg.
  • 05-09-2011, 08:38 AM
    LeeIs
    very nice. everything works. the composition, colours, everything. no nitpicks.

also greg, i cleared my inbox and outbox.
  • 05-09-2011, 08:40 AM
    LeeIs
    ah, just read your time lapse bit. haha. dude, don't give up. upload the clip you have to youtube and let me look at it. what was the problem with them?? what didn't you like about it?

this setup would really look amazing in a time lapse man. if you're gonna go back in the morning. try and find a semi cloudy day.
  • 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
    GB1
    Excellent execution here, Greg. Razor sharp, great exposure control, etc. Looks like it could be an HDR, but you say a time lapse. How does that differ from a simple long exp? Hmm.

One thing that could improve this is the foreground subject - the shoes are OK but it doesn't install a super amt of mystery. I want to tell you - and will - to instead use some female lingerie :) ...

G
  • 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM
    Greg McCary
    Thanks Leels. GB, not an HDR. A time lapse is several hundred pictures strung together to make a short movie. I set up and the timer does the rest. This just happens to be the first shoot. The video failed my expectations. But I will keep at it.
  • 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
    Greg McCary
    Just for kicks here is the botched attempt, wait for the surprise ending.LOL
    Not to get off of the subject. This is 380 shots in 20 seconds. I hope the old
    E3s shutter can handle the extra work.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sd3l1M3hoBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 05-10-2011, 08:35 AM
    LeeIs
    good start greg. I sent you a pm.