Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

View Poll Results: Which is better?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • First shot

8 100.00%
  • Second shot

0 0%

Moon over the bayou (which is better?)

I took these two shots from the front of my mother's house. I'd like to blow one up and have it framed as a birthday gift for her next month. Which one do you think came out better? I took many shots, and these by far came out the best. I had to compress them some for posting, so the ring effect around the moon is not there in the RAW file of either picture.

Both are F7.1/30 sec, and I have done nothing to them as far as processing goes. I'm also open to suggestions on cropping them, but I wanted to post the full shot for suggestions. Thanks.

First one:

Second one:

Re: Moon over the bayou (which is better?)

I like the first one more. The bushes in the foreground of the second one grab too much attention.

I know this kind of defeats the purpose, but I would like it even more without the moon. The composition with the road going across the image, the power lines/poles, the reflection in the water below ... it's all striking and eerie. :thumbsup: But because the moon is so blown out (not that you had a choice) it's hard to pay attention to the rest of it.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll play with cropping it and see how it looks. You might have something there since I can't even mentally picture it without the moon.

I like the first one better, although, to be frank I don't like it. There's nothing in this shot to make it special, nor anything to make it bad, it is just...how shall I put it kindly...rather bland.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    I like the first one better, although, to be frank I don't like it. There's nothing in this shot to make it special, nor anything to make it bad, it is just...how shall I put it kindly...rather bland.
    +1
    i agree.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Thread Information