Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Monoment

Monoment

Originally posted this in the landscape section but I think it doesn't really suit that forum as it's more gritty and I guess the man made structure is architecture! It's been edited and boosted a but since then so hope you like it. It's much much better large so please click the link.

monomental | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for looking.
    Please have a look and leave a comment or three...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46180527@N03/sets/

Thanks!!!

Re: Monoment

Excellent shot! Love it.

The sky and tower are absolutely perfect, but the ground seems to be relatively too bright compared to the sky, giving it a subtly unnatural lighting. The bright rocks in the foreground do bring an element of high contrast to the scene, which seems important, but it also mitigates and contradicts the otherwise seemingly dark feeling and overall darker lighting of the shot. I think it will only require a very subtle shift to work, as its not that far off.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Excellent shot! Love it.

The sky and tower are absolutely perfect, but the ground seems to be relatively too bright compared to the sky, giving it a subtly unnatural lighting. The bright rocks in the foreground do bring an element of high contrast to the scene, which seems important, but it also mitigates and contradicts the otherwise seemingly dark feeling and overall darker lighting of the shot. I think it will only require a very subtle shift to work, as its not that far off.
    Many thanks for the kind reply. I can see your point about the lighter ground and only dodged it in to pull the eye in, and also as a few folk I showed it too felt the image was a little too dark. I'll have a play and try to burn it back in a touch as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again.

Thanks!!!

4/3rds composition works really well. I like the contrast between the bright rocks in the foreground and the sky - they do a great job of giving you a diagonal leading line to the monument. The only problem is that the rocks are brighter than the monument, so that your eye keeps being drawn away from the monument - which I expect you intend to be the subject. I'd only darken the rocks a little, but increase the brightness of the monument so it was at least as bright as the rocks. Great shot

Many thanks for the kind reply.

Thanks!!!

Excellent, love the apocolyptic feel of this and the b&w is perfect. great composition and processing. Well done and stuck.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    Excellent, love the apocolyptic feel of this and the b&w is perfect. great composition and processing. Well done and stuck.
    Many thanks for the kind comments and for the sticky. Thank you.

Thanks!!!

Thread Information