Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Mighty Bud

GB1

The Mighty Bud

Shot today

Gb

Name:  DSC_7878_Edit3_1000.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  139.5 KB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: The Mighty Bud

I like the concept and the shot is pretty good but I think two things would make it better.
    One is not cutting off the bottom of the middle bottle.
    The other is stopping down a bit so all the bottles are sharp, but not so much that the background comes into focus, that bokeh is nice and makes the subject pop.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    I like the concept and the shot is pretty good but I think two things would make it better.
    One is not cutting off the bottom of the middle bottle.
    The other is stopping down a bit so all the bottles are sharp, but not so much that the background comes into focus, that bokeh is nice and makes the subject pop.
    Matt - Thanks, I agree with your observations. The reason for the bottom text cut off is that I didn't leave enough space for post processing. Because I could not get low enough with my camera to get the angle I wanted, I had to tilt it in post, and that removes portions of the image. If you look close you can see that the bottles have a slight cardboard cut-out look to them Regarding the blur, I really wish it was easier to get the distances exactly right ... seems like the elements are working against you out there.

Maybe I will do another shoot with these bottles - they're still in my Jeep for whenever the mood strikes me.

My Site

I've suffered from all the same struggles myself!

Yeah Its definitely right, i agree with your right perception mattb.

I also like the concept Greg, perhaps you could use a mist sprayer next time to give the effect of condensation, or maybe incorporate water in you're next shot. To my mind ( unless you're British ) beer should be cold, so having it in a rock pool or something could be an option.
    Last edited by hminx; 08-23-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I like the concept, and it is well shot. Beyond other comments, thinking it is too centered, and might benefit from an additional "beach prop" or two, maybe a volleyball, suntan lotion, bikini top,...
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

GB1

Excellent suggestions guys. I still have them in my vehicle and will try a reshoot soon. I am thinking perhaps using beach umbrella back there?

I wish I could get lower so I wouldn't need so many PS tricks. Perhaps I should dig a little depression in front of the bottles, so I can lay down low.

A friend also suggested shooting a weight bench at Muscle Beach up in Santa Monica at about a 60 degree angle, then putting (in post) the bottle on the bench w/ some weight and cartoon arms .. The Mighty Bud indeed.

My Site

allo, i'm dellarossa.. i'm interesting with Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera product on amazon, i've read many reviews, but im still not satisfied with it.
    anyone can give me more reviews ? i saw it here
    Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (discontinued by manufacturer): Rosewill: Camera & Photo

thank you very much.. :*

job well done pal

Holy sheiiit that looks good!

I think overall this shot is not bad but to make it even better make the center bottle all shown not cut like it is. The natural light is very nice and good use of it!

Thread Information