Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Double Arch

Double Arch

Double arch on a cloudy foggy morning. Not your typical photo here, I would have certainly taken typical, but this is one of those lemons/lemonade things. Not really sure if it's better, but it's definitely different than the usual. Processed fairly heavily to bring out the textures and detail in the sky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Arch-264v6575-324-hdr.jpg  
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Re: Double Arch

It is a great subject with a nice crisp capture. I keep thinking that if it wasn't such a tight crop, it would be a little more dramatic. You've got a lot of texture in the image, but I am not feeling very much dimension. Might be as simple as boosting contrast and darkening some shadows to make it come alive. May also be worth considering converting to black and white.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

That's really good and attractive image.

Actually the original had a lot more contrast and saturation. I lowered both because it didn't have the feel that it did when I was there photographing it. The tight crop was chosen because the sky basically offered nothing, and because it was so bright it was overwhelming the arches. I had to fuse 3 photos to balance the sky out as it was. I hope to return with better weather.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I think the contrast looks great. A lot of texture. Very nice

Congrats on the feature, EOSThree!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

thanks!
    10 characters

GB1

This is a very interesting composition EOS ... I know how hard it is to get a new look on a well-photographed subject, and this one seems to be a winner Only thing I can decide on is whether I prefer the 'opening' at the top of the rocks to be cropped out or not.

Congrats on the FP too!
    G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Makes me want to come visit the national parks

I also think a B&W image would be nice

Thanks GB.

Do it Armando. Northern Arizona up into Utah is some incredible country. I had crappy rainy weather in Canyonlands and Arches, it made me work for it, and apparently it was worth it. I'll be going back for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Makes me want to come visit the national parks
    Let us know if you plan to come up this way, Armando. Maybe we could arrange a little PhotographyREVIEW.com get-together. I'm only a four hour drive from Moab
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Let us know if you plan to come up this way, Armando. Maybe we could arrange a little PhotographyREVIEW.com get-together. I'm only a four hour drive from Moab
    Me too!

To the OP: I like the image. The textures in the rock and clouds look great. I bet this would look really nice printed on a big canvas. I agree that if the sky isn't adding anything of value then don't include it.

Thread Information