Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Magic Wings

Magic Wings

My wife , son, and I visited the Magic Wings Butterfly conservatory yesterday. Did I overdo it with the border?

10D, ISO 800, Tamron 90mm macro.

regards,

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magic Wings-butterfly2.jpg  

I like the photo... I like the border.... I don't like the test. Possibly a different font is needed?

TJM
    Great Sage Equal of Heaven
    Hey Mike

Great photo, id agree though lose the text its not really necessary, a little bit distracting You could even crop the photo a little tighter too so the butterfly fills up a bit more of the frame. Would be great to see a bigger version, well done

- Toby

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I agree that a closer crop may make this image more dramatic, as the butterfly would certainly fill the frame better, however it does work like this. The text is only distracting, in my opinion, if you plan to use this shot as a stand alond pic, however, if you are using it as the fist slide, say in a slide show about the place you visited, then the text makes sense. You have a good photo here and I'd like to see what else you photographed that day.
    *smile*

The shot itself is excellent. Well-framed, sharp and there is a nice juxtaposition between the shape of the "magic wing" and the shape of the leaf the butterfly is resting on. Really cool.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thanks for the critiques. I was trying to do something different with the border. I am tired of the some old black border. So the text should go, huh. I was also considering throwing a couple smaller images in the black area at the top instead.

Unfortunately I didn't get to shoot very much with my 10D. We went a little late in the day and the natural light was very limited. This was one of the few I was able to get in. I took a couple shots with mounted flash but didn't care for them very much. We Mostly used my wifes G2 and took snaps of the family.

I'll get some more up on PBase in a few days if your interested.

I'm very impressed with the 10D. This shot was taken at ISO 800 with no noise reduction.

Thanks again

Mikw

Thread Information