Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Hi I am new OK

Hi I am new OK

and I like my watermarks.

Thatès my pal Preston on the bicimycle.
    Iève got a bunch of other stuff, but who doesnèt. And my keyboard just flipped to the Quebecois mode.

Hi Darstadly,

Welcome to the forums. One thing I would suggest right of the bat is to make your images a little smaller in width. Go for something like 640 x 480 or 600 x 400 sizing to fit in the windows properly for people. Also keeps the file sizes smaller as well. There are many people who view these forums on dialup and might not wait to see your photos. Generally I think your images are good, maybe some slightly over exposed (bright a little), you have an eye for what you are photographing and watermarks aren't a problem helps to sort of protect your images a bit.

Pondering about photography as a career
    lol..Quebecois mode...

thats some nice pics..actually they are awesome. i really like the sunset/ silhoutte one..and the one with your friend on the wall..and the passerbys are looking at him and going "what the ???!"

what camera did you use dastardly? and settings for those pics?

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I love the bridge one, it's very pretty and very well done. Overall your shots are great, slightly overexposed in a couple, but otherwise very nice. I look forward to seeing more of your posts... *smile*

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Welcome.. From one Bike photographer to another...

Good stuff!
    Although it is a little big.
    I hope you learn all that you can from our little community here on the web.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

All very cool. And I like your watermark too... just make it a bit smaller and place it a little less conspicuously.

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

The second one is awesome.

thanks for the input, folks. I used a nikon 4500 with a 2x telephoto lense for most of them and the nikon wide angle for a few others. My shutter was 1/500 for all of them, not sure about the aperature.

Sorry about the size, I didn't realize that there were so many folk on here still running 15" monitors and acessing the intraweb with 28.8 modems on their 386s. But windows 3.11 was still my fave OS.

As far the watermark goes, they're my shots, so I shall do to them what I please. But if I were to make the photos smaller, I would not need the watermark, as there is not much you could do with a small pic. But a small pic is hard to look at. And I didn't feel like resizing them

I have a 17" monitor, the most common monitor and even I can't see your complete images, unless I scroll sideways. I use DSL, but did you know that, believe it or not, more than 50% of the internet users in the USA use 56K modems or slower. That means that your images, a total of about 2.2 MB take for them about 7 1/2 min to download even on a Windows XP P4 3 Ghz machine

Great action shots, not all that easy to shoot. I like the first one the best.
    I also like the last shot, very fascinating image.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the board!

right, so Americans have fast computers but are too slow to get information from outside sources :P

What screen resolution are you using? I have a 17" and have it set at 1280*1024. But I have a nice monitor and radeon 9700 pro vid card. so there.

What's with the attitude?

This site is designed to run images up to 600 pixels wide. Many poeple in the world, not just America, run 800x600 or 1024x768. Yes, even on "fancy" ATI video cards with many "fancy" numbers attached to them. It's called LEGIBILITY, to some people that's more important than bragging rights.

I find your desire to lay down the law kind of amusing. Reminds me of my best friend's four year-old nephew. Except he's cute.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Dastardly, this is a photography forum and that's also why I commented on your images. The only reason I brought up computer related issues was to make you understand the reasoning behind Peter's comment.

If you want to have a discussion with me about computers, feel free to E-mail me, but then you might want to check my profile first ;)

how can i get a cool watermark on my pictures i shoot what program do you use and if u dont use photoshop who knows how i can make on in there

Quote Originally Posted by Young Shooter
    how can i get a cool watermark on my pictures i shoot what program do you use and if u dont use photoshop who knows how i can make on in there
    Quite simple. say that your pic is 1000*700 pixels or whatever.
    I used photoshop.
    Open up a new file, like 900*200.
    Type in what you want, get it how you want and what not. lenght, width, font, whatever. make sure it is in black.
    Drag the text onto your image. select the image in the layers. then go filter>stylize>emboss and click OK on the warning message or whatever pops up. adjust the opacity and that is it. Hope this made sense.

http://www.candeekis.com/pswatermark/pswmtut.html

try that as well.

As far as the other 2 posts go, relax fellas. I think you may have interpreted my humour in a wrong way or taken my posts a bit too seriously. No need to turn this into a pissing contest.
    Last edited by dastardly; 04-24-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Thread Information