• 02-29-2004, 06:24 PM
    stew
    1 Attachment(s)
    mass avenue bridge at morning (b&w)
    taken a couple weeks ago before it started warming up. there was a beatiful mist that obscured the far side of the river that morning. i like the diffuse glow it created and tried to capture that here. is it too white/misty/overexposed in the light areas on the right-hand side?

on this image, i used neat image, then applied some unsharp mask.

thanks in advance!
  • 02-29-2004, 08:24 PM
    NorCal
    That's a really cool image!! I like how the mist gradually goes away. I also think the angle is perfect, the b&w adds an even better touch to it. One little nit pick though, I think you mentioned this yourself at the bottom right has a little too much white in it. Job well done!
  • 02-29-2004, 10:44 PM
    gahspidy
    Stew,
    This is a great capture. I agree about the washout in the bottom right, but it does not do any harm to this photo. You have done a great job on this shot with the angle, and composition etc. . .2 thumbs up!
  • 03-01-2004, 10:53 AM
    stew
    1 Attachment(s)
    new version
    i used the burn tool (my first time - what a cool tool) to try to bring out some more of the detail on the ice and water in the lower right-hand quadrant of the photo, including the rocks. after a few different attempts, i think this one strikes a better visual balance even though the changes are fairly subtle imo. is it enough?

thanks for the inputs!
  • 03-01-2004, 11:01 AM
    bingo pajama
    wow, stew. this is a really incredible shot. frame it and hang it! nuff said.
  • 03-01-2004, 11:07 AM
    stew
    thanks...
    ... for the positive feedback NorCal, Gary, and bingo pajama! :) cheers.
  • 03-01-2004, 11:11 AM
    gahspidy
    when you say subtle, you aint kidding. After comparing both versions back and forth about a half dozen times, I noticed a bit more definition and clarity in the ice between and to the right of the first two foundations. Yes an improvement perhaps, but I don't think you really need to do anything. I like this shot as is, the white misty look giving the bridge a very bold dominant feel. If anything, try giving the pic a shot of " clarify".. I don't know what it is in photoshop, but in Paint Shop Pro there is an enhancement called Carify which depending on the setting chosen, will bring out some defintion and highlits. But I like this as is Stew.
  • 03-01-2004, 01:23 PM
    swampy
    Nice!
    Very nice one, ... the water comes out very good there! Also the pilars look great, you can almost see the texture!