Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: M

GB1

M

Older image, just processed!

Name:  DSC_2494_Edit2_Post_1200.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  268.2 KB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: M

Greg, I am glad this is one of your older images, because you've done a lot better recently! There are a number of things here that aren't working for me...
    1) the rock camera right is the brightest part of the image, thus the eye goes there
    2) the reflection on her sunglass lens is too much of a distraction
    3) I can't open the file to see it larger, but as presented it seems to me that she might have a pack of cigarettes in her right (camera left) bra cup...something ain't looking smooth there
    4) maybe she really is pale, but seems to needs some warmth, especially her right arm
    5) something white is sticking out of her pocket
    6) looks like a radioactive green hue glowing from her right (camera left) hip...I see the same green other places on the rock, too

The capture looks crisp and clean, but otherwise I am having a difficult time finding much to like about this composition.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

GB1

Re: M

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Greg, I am glad this is one of your older images, because you've done a lot better recently! There are a number of things here that aren't working for me...
    1) the rock camera right is the brightest part of the image, thus the eye goes there
    2) the reflection on her sunglass lens is too much of a distraction
    3) I can't open the file to see it larger, but as presented it seems to me that she might have a pack of cigarettes in her right (camera left) bra cup...something ain't looking smooth there
    4) maybe she really is pale, but seems to needs some warmth, especially her right arm
    5) something white is sticking out of her pocket
    6) looks like a radioactive green hue glowing from her right (camera left) hip...I see the same green other places on the rock, too

The capture looks crisp and clean, but otherwise I am having a difficult time finding much to like about this composition.
    Thanks Ken, good points. I agree that the the comp needs work, and unfortunately what you see is my artistic doing: this shot had her completely in the frame, but for some reason I expt'd with it in Post and came up with this. It doesn't seem very good to me now either, too chopped off in addition to the issues you mention (funny how artsy stuff is! You get on a roll and come up w/ something you like, but 24 hours later, you often ask yourself what were you thinking?).

That radioactive green glow is pretty much exactly how it is over there: it's algae that grows along the rocks. That sticker in her pocket is a Levis tag, I believe.. I debated cloning it out but decided not to. And yeah, that is the color of her skin. I didn't warm up the image like I often do (another anti-experiment).

Back to the drawing board

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information