Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Profile

A photo of someone taking a photo of someone at sunset in Itaunas, Espirito Santo, Brazil.

Last edited by mtbbrian; 09-03-2006 at 03:50 AM. Reason: UN Sticking As Featured Photo For 28 August 2006
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Re: Profile

This photo is very appealing to me - nice colors, balanced, and I like how one person is blurred a bit, while the other is relatively still.
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

I think this is an obvious critique - but I love it, except the motion blur. an excellent composition, a great amount of sillhouetted ground - (looks like 1/3rd of the frame, sometimes these "rules" make sense ). i dont know exactly whats going on in the middle between the ground and sky, but i like it, it kind of begs my curiousity - it doesnt matter that i dont know what it is, its appealing and balanced in the photo, and you can imagine all the things it could be.

ultimately though - the lack of sharpness on the two people, particularly the one on the right, hurts this photo for me. dont know if its something that can even be fixed with USM - or if youve allready done that - might make a slight difference. Also - maybe some despeckling and noise reduction could add a lot to it - make the colors smoother and more solid.

Photonerd

wow, lovely shot! i was just wondering, is that blurryness caused by the wind blowing dust or sand? it also looks a bit like a heat shimmer. i kind of like the blurry lol. it makes it seems like they are standing in a desert. gorgeous colors!
    Feel free to edit/re-post my photos as you like

Nikon Samurai #28

Very attractive image Liban and the way the colours seem to bleed into each other is nice.
    It's got the look of a painting but more so I feel it has a sort of "Outback" shimmering heat feel to it. Very interesting effort.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

jbf

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    ultimately though - the lack of sharpness on the two people, particularly the one on the right, hurts this photo for me. dont know if its something that can even be fixed with USM - or if youve allready done that - might make a slight difference.
    Another more drastic idea is to clone out the person on the right. It changes the story, but the story still works- maybe even better. With the second person removed, it would appear that the person in the image is photographing the scenery. With both people in the scene, the person on the right appears to be the subject of the photo and my eye is drawn to that person. Not only would changing the image lead the viewer's attention to the landscape rather than the blurry second person, but it would also give the image a feeling of a person isolated in a wide open natural setting. In addition, I think one of the great things about the image is how simple the composition is. Removing the second person would make it even more so. The viewer would be able to focus more on the magnificent colors.

Just a thought,
    jbf
    Last edited by jbf; 08-26-2006 at 11:02 AM.

I've never seen such colors in a sunset in real life before. It looks incredible. Thank you for sharing
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by jbf
    Another more drastic idea is to clone out the person on the right. It changes the story, but the story still works- maybe even better. With the second person removed, it would appear that the person in the image is photographing the scenery. With both people in the scene, the person on the right appears to be the subject of the photo and my eye is drawn to that person. Not only would changing the image lead the viewer's attention to the landscape rather than the blurry second person, but it would also give the image a feeling of a person isolated in a wide open natural setting. In addition, I think one of the great things about the image is how simple the composition is. Removing the second person would make it even more so. The viewer would be able to focus more on the magnificent colors.

Just a thought,
    jbf
    great idea! I think that would work well too!

wow, I didn't think this one would generate so many responses. I personally thought some of my others were better than this but didn't get as many replies. I guess beauty really lies in the eyes of the beholder. One of the reasons I love posting here, I get to see how others view things. It's amazing.

Thanks OBie, appreciate it.

Anbesol,
    The blur was because it was hand held and the 2nd person was moving. Those things behind the 2nd person were clouds.

Yeah, I agree with you that the sharpness diminishes this photos potential. I tried the USM and there's really nothing I can do about it that way. Maybe I can clone out the bluriness a bit better, but that will be a project in itself. Thanks Anbesol.

echoback,
    Do you mean the clouds behind the 2nd subject? It's definitely not heat related though it was hot. And yes you're absolutely right, it was a desert in a sense.

It was a huge sand dune that those two were standing at the peek of. I was a bit below them. Thanks echo.

Thanks Tom, appreciate it.

jbf,
    you bring up a good idea about removing the 2nd person. Though i'm not sure if the photo would have as much a story as it does now. I should probably play around with this and see what that would look like. Thanks jbf.

Thanks Jaedon!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

I found another shot from the same place, a slightly different pose.

Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I think is an excellent photograph.
    It has a lot of great things going on.
    I love the colors and the fact that you saw this little moment appeals to me as well.
    I think the blur of the second person isn't an issue, I think it works.
    I think I have seen most of your Brazil photographs and I must say I am rather envious!
    Thanks for sharring your photographs with us!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks for the sticky and your kind words Brian.

Time to break out the champagne, this calls for a parttyyy!!
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Congrats on the sticky! It is always fun to see what will be selected from week to week. There have been some pretty diverse shots selected. We all hope to be so fortunate. Nice job!!

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Thread Information