Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Re: Self Portrait

Compositionally it looks fine and the lighting looked as it might be pretty decent but I'm not at all crazy about the post processing. All the tones and life looks like it has been sucked out of the image. Personal preference, really.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

MB1

The image looks too warm/yellow.

I like the eyes and focus. The background doesn't distract and adds a sense of place (which I always like).

The composition doesn't show much creativity to me, looks like it would work as a passport photo.
    No, I DON'T need that.

The light, mood, and expression works, but I think as the chaps above that the tonal range or strange saturation is something to work further with. I think honestly it kind of kills the shot IMO.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Thanks for the crits folks, don't figure it's working any better in B&W? Honestly I just thought the image (taken by a friend) was some what flattering as I (like most I assume) hate being photographed.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I don't know what you did for the strange colors/tones in the first.
    No detail or texture in your skin makes it look flat in both.
    Now this may be an or the effect you wanted and if so, it works.
    I can't say I like or dislike it. Would depend on what you expect or want from it.
    Your eyes in both are as catching of attention as I've seen in any photo. I couldn't figure out what was so catching at first but now I realize that I almost have to force myself to look at anything but the eyes to offer a critique.

Did your friend take the pic with 'your' camera?
    I ask because there have been a few posts about who 'owns' a picture when someone takes a picture with someone else's camera.
    And then there's the no-no of posting someone else's picture. I don't want to get away from the critique part of the photo but it just seems an interesting question.
    Maybe I'll go ask in the legal forum.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Yes, I was shooting pics of her, and she turned my camera around and snapped a few of me, this was one I liked so I played with it a bit. (She gave me full ownership over the image and informed me I could use it/post it as I saw fit, but if it violates the parameters of the forum, I would be happy to delete due to legal reasons.

As for the "Strange tones" honestly I believe all I did was drag the reduce noise slider as well as the saturation and exposure (a bit to the left or the right)....thats it, no massive re touching going on, I think it makes my skin tone look warm and healthy (I am fairly tan in real life and my actual eye color is representative of the shades/tones shown in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by nps474
    Yes, I was shooting pics of her, and she turned my camera around and snapped a few of me, this was one I liked so I played with it a bit. (She gave me full ownership over the image and informed me I could use it/post it as I saw fit, but if it violates the parameters of the forum, I would be happy to delete due to legal reasons.
    I have no problem with it. Just off on one of my frequent tangents again.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by nps474
    As for the "Strange tones" honestly I believe all I did was drag the reduce noise slider as well as the saturation and exposure (a bit to the left or the right)....thats it, no massive re touching going on, I think it makes my skin tone look warm and healthy (I am fairly tan in real life and my actual eye color is representative of the shades/tones shown in the photo.
    Ok~That makes me think that one of us needs to calibrate their monitor as on mine, you appear very jaundiced.
    Keep Shooting!

I do have a tendency to trend towards over- saturation at times, still learning as I go.

GB1

Is this post processed? And was is necessary due to a very dark image? Anyway, decent shot for sure, like blur in the background and you even managed to smile (my biggest problem! ). I would prefer it w/o the processing though.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information