Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: "The Lover"

"The Lover"

Hoping for some comments. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "The Lover"-triangles013fixweb.jpg  
    *Does anyone ever hear "This is wonderful food, you must have a great pan!"?

Re: "The Lover"

This looks like a playbill. Like a shot from a production of Chicago or something. While it is technically good it has a somewhat sterile feel to it. There is not much emotion at all here.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Agreed...

"There is not much emotion at all here."

I would have to agree. What I'm wanting to see is (in order of preference) 1) her head turned toward the camera, 2) her eyes open 3) an emotion on her face 4) eye contact. I think any of that would make it stronger. Additionally, less depth fo field (how'd you get both of them in focus, anyway? P&S?) and maybe even him in focus and her out. I might try adjusting the colors as well (add blue?)

It looks like you were shooting a play so I don't know hoe much control you have over their postures. But I'd work with her if you could. Maybe move him closer or have him standing right above her. Just thoughts.

You captured a nice, sharp scene here. I'm interested in hearing more about what it was.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I like the perfect skin tone.

Re: Agreed...

You captured a nice, sharp scene here. I'm interested in hearing more about what it was.

Rick[/QUOTE]

Almo and Rick, thanks for you interest and your response.
    I purposely posted this photo without any written details. There aren't many of it's style (theatre photography) here and I just wondered what comments it would elicit.
    Yes, this is a scene from a play called "The Lover" by Harold Pinter, done at the local University. My husband is the director and it was taken during a photo call where the actors are set up depicting scenes from the play. He found what you "wanted to see" interesting. Maybe there is a difference between creating a strong photo and depicting a moment in drama. The depth of field is accomplished with a Nikon D70, 18-70mm lens at 18mm, 1/13 sec, f/3.5 Using a wide angle lens with a small aperature opening got the effect my husband wanted for production records. The woman in the forground is thinking about her afternoon with her lover while her husband questions her. At the moment she is both emotionally and physically distant from her husband and is not making eye contact with the audience. But it's still "all about her" so she's got the focus. The lighting designer used warm colors in his lighting design and the photo is true to what was on stage.
    Now you know probably more than you really wanted to about the photo.

I still welcome comments if you or anyone else would like to respond. ;)

Yes, cfong, she does have beautiful skin.
    *Does anyone ever hear "This is wonderful food, you must have a great pan!"?

Re: Agreed...

That makes sence. Thanks for the follow up.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

Without reading the comments i see that this is a woman in all her glory.Sure of her self and her power over men.The man in the picture looks so far away and lost. I would say he has lost her to another and is heartbroken and knows she does not care one way or the other. And if i can see all this then this picture, its composition and set up has worked.
    Bobby
    Now i will read the comments.

[QUOTE=kerriann85]Hoping for some comments. Thanks[/QUO
    I feel the emotion of the scene was captured well. Your explanation reinforced my already existing thoughts on what was occuring. As I believe that was your intent, I must say well done!

Thread Information