Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'

Hi everyone...
    This is my first thread . Just bought a Olympus C7070 and this r few of my first pics. with it ...
    what u think !

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'-p8020092.jpg   Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'-vendor-machines1.jpg   Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'-aveja6.jpg   Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'-camion.jpg  
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Re: Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'

few more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'-subway.jpg   Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'-p8020040.jpg   Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'-p8020027.jpg   Few pics. for 'Photo Critique'-p8020039.jpg  
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

You're getting a kick out of the quality you're getting from the camera, aren't you?

I would say your strongest shots are:

the vending machines at the station at night
    the bee flower
    and maybe the mountain biker.

The rest are, honestly, interesting but average. To improve them, think to yourself while you're looking through the viewfinder, "What do I want my audience to SEE in this shot?" And it should be a relatively narrow focal point ... not that there can't be a lot of details and action, but SOMETHING in particular should stand out from it all. Just like when we "see" in real life, we are actually focusing on one thing at a time. You need to define that more clearly in a picture.

So, for instance in the first picture, I'm not really sure what you wanted me to SEE. Right now the first thing I see is the pavement between the two cars. Then I see it's a taxi with its door open, and then my eye moves to the buildings behind it all. Only when I linger on the picture do I start to see the people getting into the cab, the man taking the photo, and the taxi driver in the front of the scene. And, after taking this all in, I ask myself, "so what? I've seen this before." (except for the buildings in the background ... those are intersting.)

So think about why you wanted me to be interested in this picture, and then next time try to capture that "one thing" more strongly.

Your second one works because of the colors and the patterns. Very nice, pleasing visual, nice to look at. The third one works for the same reason: crisp, colorful, balanced nicely, focus is on the bee and the shape of the flower, which sits nicely in the frame.

And the mountain biker, I'm liking your perspective (that I'm looking up at him), and the reflections from the window catch my eye and make me want to look deeper. He's a strong image placed nicely in the frame. Not competing with the background, although after awhile I want to look there, too.

Does this make sense? I'm really just passing along advice that's been given to me at one point or another.

ps. One trick that I use to pick out my strongest shots is whether they look eye catching at a very small size. So when I'm looking at my digital thumbnails, one or two will jump out at me as being "strong," and then I look closer at those to see if they truly are good. I think your "vending machines" and your "flower" shots would jump out at me as thumbnails.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I personally think the first shot is the best one out of all the shots you've attached. The one with the yellow taxis.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Welcome!

Welcome to PR.com!
    I would have to agree with the others.
    Of the MANY you posted here, I think the first one is the best.
    It has great light and color and I like how you framed everything.
    The vending machine isn't bad either.
    The bike one is interesting too, I like the ghost like quality.
    Make sure you check out the other forums especially the Sports one, but make sure you post some bike stuff here too!
    Oh And...
    Typically we don't post anymore than one photograph at a time for critique and limit things to no more than five post for critique a day.
    No Worries!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

hey there,
    you remind me alot of myself with my first good 35mm camera....i bought rolls of film like they were going out of style, shot with various lens, shooting anything and everything, usually people, because people are interesting. With your shots, i think you need strong focus into one subject...like the cabbie for instance...his expression is intense and that could have been intensified...also the film and exposures you will need to work on. The best shot is the bee. The symetrical aspect is good, and so is the composition. A little hint on the film and exposure: write each picture down...wht speed, wht kind of film, time of day, lens, etc...tht way when u capture something really great you will know how u did it...keep shooting!!
    Sandra

thanks a lot for the crutiques and it won't happen again Brian ;)

I find really usefull all the critiques and my favorites r the yellow taxi and the vendor machines too.

the bee flower one is nice but no more than a 'point and shot' pic. IMO !?

thanks again .

Juanjo
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Thread Information