Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: "Little One"

"Little One"

You guys are inspiring me to try new things, look back at my stuff and try to rework some things I had previously passed over.

Here's one that was originally far too dark. I am extremely happy with how the face, chest and legs cleaned up, although I think the back end is still too dark, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I think the composition is neat, but not knock-your-socks-off striking.

What are your thoughts?

~Kelly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Little One"-lil_one.jpg  

I think you had a really tough exposure - lots of white with one dark subject lit nicely at one end and in shadow at the other. Fill flash would have helped. You can selectively pick parts of the cat to adjust levels and end up with something like this. I couldn't quite get it right either, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Little One"-lil_one-copy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    You guys are inspiring me to try new things, look back at my stuff and try to rework some things I had previously passed over.

Here's one that was originally far too dark. I am extremely happy with how the face, chest and legs cleaned up, although I think the back end is still too dark, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I think the composition is neat, but not knock-your-socks-off striking.

What are your thoughts?

~Kelly
    There's more than one way to....er...well...uh..how about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

it is a great picture, i agree with you that the back is too dark, but the front looks great and the contrast on the couch is very cool

the eyes look a little funny how they are not fully open, but that adds character and separates it from just any other cat picture

overall, great job

Thanks, Lava, for finding this post and bringing it forward. I think what grabs me about this shot is how 3 dimensional the cat's face looks to me. I feel like I could reach out and pet her.

I like how you brought more highlights out of her fur, but then I feel I'm missing out on the richness of her face. But mine definitely looks too dark now. I'm going to have to find a balance.

Thanks again!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Opinionated Newbie
    I love that people are bringing back unanswered posts! I'm going to have to take the time to do so myself on lunch today!

Kelly -- I find Lava's version much more appealing to the eye and a bit sharper as well. This is a very attractive cat. I think the slope of the sofa is a bit distracting. Similar to having a horizon line follow an angle.

Did you use studio lighting on this? It definitely looks as if you did. If so, what are you using?

Finally, just a personal opinion. I absolutley love cats. I don't understand those who have such strong dislike for felines. I love their independence. Trust me, I think dogs rock, but cats represent to me some very admirable qualities. I also think that they're much brighter than we give them credit for. I mean, they don't do what you tell them to do. They might as well give you the middle finger Wouldn't we all want to have that option in life?!?

Thread Information