Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Little Boy

Little Boy

I took this today at a parade, this little boy had just caught me taking his picture. I just wish it wouldn'thave come out with his hat over exposed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little Boy-turkey-festival-parade-little-boy-web.jpg  
    Dive naked things look bigger underwater!!!!!

Here is another of him, I just had to get an address from his mother to mail her some of these shots. I think this is my best people work ever, tell me what you think. It was funny, she said she seen me taking pictures of him and was wondering what I was doing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little Boy-turkey-festival-parade-little-boy-2-web.jpg  

I can't belive nobody has commented on these, I was hoping to get some comments on my use of the avalible light.

MB1

The shot with the smile is by far the best.

The second shot has way too much contrast and shadow plus the expression on the kids face in the second shot is not interesting the way the smile in the first shot is.

As for the part about taking portraits of folks that don't know you are doing it. Well I am not all that sure about that at all..... It is one thing to have their permisson or have a group of strangers in the foreground of something you are taking pictures of. Portraits are a bit too personal in my mind for random shots. YMMV

Still the first shot is well done and looks good.

I "caught" photographers with long lenses on my 2 yr old son a few times. Once it was a newspaper reporter who took some pics then asked for permission. Another time, I have no idea who he was but when he noticed that I noticed, he showed me the pics on his digital SLR screen. I asked him to delete them. I have to say I was somewhat ticked or maybe just protective both times. Anyone know the legalities of using these kinds of shots for non-advertising/endorcement purposes? I digress. Back to the shots. This is my first time posting in this forum. I am just out of a macrophotography class where the instructor was very "honest" with his critique........both shots are quite nice, although they did not really hit me as anything special. I found the background in both distracting, and the light in both harsh in the highlights and washed out in the shadows. Seems like the light might have exceeded the latitude the camera can capture. They just did not trigger any emotion from me. Although most of the shots I have taken of people with hats on were far to dark under the hat!!

It was early afternoon and the lighting on the second photo is what I was wanting, I think it makes that shot interesting. Long lens? I was sitting right next to them at a parade. I did get an email back from the mom telling me thank you, those are some of the best pictures anyone has ever taken of him.

oh, and by the way, my kids and my neice were running out to get candy at the parade alongside him, and we had been freindly with them during the parade.

the fact that he looks to be about 3 or 4 alone makes it a miraculous shot. that he was still long enough. I think as far as quick grabs at a parade they are certainly better than a standard shot most people could take...the smile is great and the rosiness of the cheeks in the second are endearing.

but after seeing some of your posts in the lasts couple of days and taking into account the fact that you had kids with you...I will excuse you from some of the technical challenges (mentioned already)... you should try out some stuff on your kids...play around with light and post 'em. glad the mom was happy with 'em... offer to shoot some more in a more controlled environment...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

No Worries.. It happens....

Quote Originally Posted by GoDive30
    I can't belive nobody has commented on these, I was hoping to get some comments on my use of the avalible light.
    Sometimes posts go with out get any responses, I know this first hand...
    Don't know why, but it happens.

But back to your photos...

In the first one, there are too many hot spots(hat, both top corner, arm in back ground). Not to mention the parts of the person make the background too distracting. You got a great expression.
    Be aware of the background.

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Basically.......

Quote Originally Posted by remoteplaces
    I "caught" photographers with long lenses on my 2 yr old son a few times. Once it was a newspaper reporter who took some pics then asked for permission. Another time, I have no idea who he was but when he noticed that I noticed, he showed me the pics on his digital SLR screen. I asked him to delete them. I have to say I was somewhat ticked or maybe just protective both times. Anyone know the legalities of using these kinds of shots for non-advertising/endorcement purposes?
    Basically, if the photographer is to use the photograph for editorial purposes, there is no need for model release.
    If the photograph is to be used for commercial purposes, the photographer "should" get a model release.
    This may vary by area too.
    Furthermore, if you were out in public, a photographer can photograph you as he/she pleases.
    The photographer that asked you for permission was being very professional in doing so.

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information