Lionfish

Printable View

• 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM
    CLKunst
    Lionfish
    Comments and critiques welcomed, suggestions cheerfully explored.
    :D

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...e-Aquarium.jpg
  • 09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
    arne saknussen
    Re: Lionfish
    This is absolutely stunning! The colors, the lines and in this case, centering work very well. My only criticism is that I want more.
  • 09-09-2010, 06:05 PM
    armando_m
    wowsa !!!

outstanding photo!

love the perspective , looks like I'm being pulled into the image
  • 09-10-2010, 05:08 AM
    Grandpaw
    Very nice shot! Detail is great, Jeff
  • 09-10-2010, 01:02 PM
    CLKunst
    Thank you for the kind comments ame, armando and Grandpaw.

This lion-fish is, or at least was, for sale at our local Asheville Aquarium and Java Reef. :) They have so many beautiful fish there and really know what they're doing with the aquarium maintenance. They also sell coffee and have this nice bunch of couches all facing several enormous saltwater aquariums so hanging out and watching the tanks is encouraged.
  • 09-10-2010, 06:11 PM
    NKP68
    Super shot. I always shy away from shooting through glass. You seem to have that under control. Great color and DOF. If fish can have facial expressions, this is a real good one.
    "Don't mess with me!"

Ed
  • 09-11-2010, 08:41 AM
    CLKunst
    It's a little easier to shoot through glass with an aquarium if you use a lens hood and a macro lens, then you can get right up close for all of those yummy details while shutting out the glare.
  • 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
    gahspidy
    Like this one alot, Cindy. The off centered comp, the sharpness and illumination of the subjects head/eyes as well as the colors makes a delightful and super interesting fish portrait (if there ever is such a thing lol)

nicely done, and i bet it was worthwhile knocking down the toddlers to get the shot. . . ;)
  • 09-13-2010, 01:21 PM
    draymorton
    Beautiful.
  • 09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
    pafindr
    Although I really dislike lionfish because they are an invasive predator to S. FL I think this is a beautiful shot.

You did a great job shooting through glass too!
    Congratz on the sticky
  • 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
    daq7
    It really is very stunning.
  • 09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
    LeeIs
    beautiful image and congrats on the sticky. awesome expression on his face. portrait of a fish :-) if he/she ever opened a facebook account he's already got his profile pic ;-)
  • 09-14-2010, 08:03 AM
    draymorton
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeIs
    if he/she ever opened a facebook account he's already got his profile pic ;-)

LOL!

"Relationship status: It's complicated"
  • 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
    CLKunst
    Holy Cow! Thanks for the sticky!! You guys do know though that those aren't his eyes right? That's a camouflage pattern illusion to make you think he's really watching you when he isn't.
    Thanks for all the great comments and for the lion-fish education, I had no idea they were an invasive species here, I thought they were an asiatic fish. It's awful when people get careless.
  • 09-15-2010, 08:51 AM
    LeeIs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by draymorton
    LOL!

"Relationship status: It's complicated"

haha too funny.
  • 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
    Marc2B4
    Kick ass image.
  • 09-18-2010, 06:06 PM
    dbutler
    GREAT image! Love his expression. you nailed this one. AND...congrats on the sticky!
  • 09-18-2010, 06:23 PM
    drg
    I always wanted a Lionfish in a big Octagonal Aquarium. But alas, I am not a very good fish keeper and it wouldn't be fair to the critter.

Awesome head on shot and congratulations, belatedly, on the featured image! Fine work.
  • 09-19-2010, 10:32 AM
    CLKunst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc2B4
    Kick ass image.

:23: Rock!
  • 09-19-2010, 10:33 AM
    CLKunst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dbutler
    GREAT image! Love his expression. you nailed this one. AND...congrats on the sticky!

Thanks Dee! :D :D Hope you're doing well. Let me know how things are on the other side of the planet whenever you like!
  • 09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
    CLKunst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drg
    I always wanted a Lionfish in a big Octagonal Aquarium. But alas, I am not a very good fish keeper and it wouldn't be fair to the critter.

Awesome head on shot and congratulations, belatedly, on the featured image! Fine work.

Alas I am also what they call. . A Fish Killer. Some last longer than others but in the end. .

Thanks for the nod and the note, it's always great to hear from you.:thumbsup:
  • 09-19-2010, 02:33 PM
    jetrim
    Truly inspiring shot! Great work on this one.
  • 09-20-2010, 02:49 PM
    CLKunst
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jetrim
    Truly inspiring shot! Great work on this one.

Thanks Jet! I appreciate it!