Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: A try on a baby

A try on a baby

I am very new to photography. These are photos of my niece. I don't usually have much time with her. I had about 3 or 4 minutes or so in this occasion and I managed to get this photo. Please guide me what I have done wrong or what I've done OK. I really want to take better photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A try on a baby-letti2.wm.jpg   A try on a baby-letti.wm.jpg  

Re: A try on a baby

In the second she is too obscured by the blanket, You may have been just a little too low for this shot.
    The first has her eye shut, a blink, I think, and you seemed to have focused just behind her head, Try to get the eyes open and sharp. Also you may have been a bit low as well as there is a lot of out of focus stuff in the foreground. She is a little cutie and warrants being a future subject .....
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Thank you hmnix. It was so hard to take a photo of her because she would either tried to cover her face with the blanket or would close her eyes and I was using manual focus on 55-200. So whenever I set her up and walk back to take the picture, she would move and I had to just refocus and hit the shutter. Do you have any suggestions or tips for me? I don't know much about photographing but I really want to learn.

GB1

Welcome to the site. It's a good place to learn!

I agree with Pete's comments. I do however think that there's some possible interesting crops with the second. Try showing only her and the blanket.

I am not sure of the type of camera you have. But if you have a DSLR where you can control the aperture, you would need to set a higher f-stop number - which equates to a smaller opening in the lens - to add more depth of field. Right now it is either too wide open resulting in the foreground being way too blurred, or you are actually using a deep enough aperture but simply focusing on the wrong place (the second shot shows this is a possibility because the background letters are sharp).

Anyway - keep shooting and keep checking back.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information