Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Waterboy

The Waterboy

Do you like the story this tells?

Shot at 1600 ISO and then pushed to +2 exposure compensation, so the noise is extremely apparent. I'm not going to do anything with this photo, but my goal last night was to capture a couple of stories. (I missed the shot where he was crouching down to see between the players, darn)

Comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Waterboy-waterboy.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I notice when I scroll so that the heads of the players are cropped off I get more of a focus on the kid and his "little guy among the big guys" feel. Does that make sense?

Nice capture. I tried what Kerri Ann mentioned and she's right - cropping off the heads focuses in and tells your story more effectively. Have you tried converting to B&W and seeing if that helps? Often I find that if the color in a photo isn't a major part of what I want to convey, B&W focuses in on the other integral parts.

Nice job.

Tuna

Thanks! I agree with the crop. I've got several others focusing on this kid where I cropped the "big guys" off at the shoulders, and it works, but the kid was so active that I've always got him just "off" position where it doesn't work.

Tuna, yes, I tried B&W, but with the noise it was just a busy mass of greys. Looked very much like newsprint. And I wasn't able to extend the range of contrast to my liking. There's just not enough information left in the file anymore to work with.

Here's another one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Waterboy-ballboys1.jpg  
    Last edited by opus; 09-18-2004 at 11:35 PM.

Thread Information