Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Victoria BC

Seb

Victoria BC

Here is a first picture from my recent journey in the Rockies. This is absolutely not in chronological order but I would like to receive comments on that one first.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    Has some good subjects in the frame, but I don't think that this shot really has a voice of it's own, other than looking like a shot of what you saw that day. I think with the lighting and clouds that were present on the building in the distance that that would of been a good subject on its own or maybe just a close up of the boats or an interesting arrangement of them within the frame?
    Let's see your other shots!
    Thanks,
    Rachel
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    Has some good subjects in the frame, but I don't think that this shot really has a voice of it's own, other than looking like a shot of what you saw that day. I think with the lighting and clouds that were present on the building in the distance that that would of been a good subject on its own or maybe just a close up of the boats or an interesting arrangement of them within the frame?
    Let's see your other shots!
    Thanks,
    Rachel
    Hello Rachel,

Thank you for commenting.

Just to make sure that I get you right, do you consider that this picture have a snapshot feel to it and do you consider it to be too busy?

I tought that the immediate surrounding of the parliament (main building) and the marina naturally framed the scene well but I am not sure about the shot being too busy or not.

regards

Seb

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello Rachel,

Thank you for commenting.

Just to make sure that I get you right, do you consider that this picture have a snapshot feel to it and do you consider it to be too busy?

I tought that the immediate surrounding of the parliament (main building) and the marina naturally framed the scene well but I am not sure about the shot being too busy or not.

regards

Seb
    I do feel that it is more of a snapshot. It is hard for my eye to settle on one thing and be able to say " That's the subject" The Building is interesting, but doesn't have a prominent place in the frame, The boats are interesting, but again, No prominance. I would have liked to have seen more interesting composition, although this is easier said than done, If i were in your position when you were taking the shot, I can't think of a way I would of composed the scene to get in both the boats and the building, and make it interesting as well. But maybe someone else will be able to place themselves and give you better advice.

- okay, I just tried to crop your image and make it a little more interesting, I got rid of the 'pier' or dock on the left side, but still could not make it look more dynamic.
    I'm envisioning maybe a close up of a boat from a low angle with the building in the background, just out of focus....

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful than this!
    Rachel
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Seb, I would agree about the snapshot feel here. It is a busy shot. The great structure lit up in the bg is interesting but not enough of it there to really settle in on. I think you tried to capture too much in this scene , which is something we all do from time to time.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb
    Thank you Rachel and Gary for those precisions. Composing overly busy shots is my main weakness right now. It seems that my simpliers shots are always more appreciated by the people here (which obviously tell me something).

Then again, thank you for your honnest, straight forward imput.

regards

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Here is a first picture from my recent journey in the Rockies. This is absolutely not in chronological order but I would like to receive comments on that one first.

regards

Seb
    I immediately liked this shot for its strong, complimentary colors, but agree with the others that the shot is overly busy with all the boats pulling you away from the interesting building.
    I think vertical framing would maintain the maritime feel while allowing you to concentrate attention on the building. I also did a quick and dirty clone job on that bothersome tower
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I immediately liked this shot for its strong, complimentary colors, but agree with the others that the shot is overly busy with all the boats pulling you away from the interesting building.
    I think vertical framing would maintain the maritime feel while allowing you to concentrate attention on the building. I also did a quick and dirty clone job on that bothersome tower
    Hello Chunk,

This is an interesting crop. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

regards

Seb

Thread Information