Life on Planet Yellow

Printable View

• 08-23-2005, 01:23 AM
    7_of_9
    1 Attachment(s)
    Life on Planet Yellow
    Hi all. I joined as a member today, and just wanted to start off with a photo i took about 2 months ago at a nursery. It was in the dead of winter in South Africa. Please tell me what you think of it. Just a beginner.
  • 08-23-2005, 09:48 AM
    neto
    Re: Life on Planet Yellow
    The pic is very good! Taking close-up/macro pics is not easy, especially with bugs involved. very nice.

neto
  • 08-23-2005, 11:05 PM
    7_of_9
    Thanx for your input neto. As a beginner you tend to take photos of everything, and i think this was a lucky shot. It seems like it came out ok. I just dont know what other things i should look out for when taking macros. Any other inputs are most welcome.
  • 08-26-2005, 03:06 PM
    villenadecorte
    I think the perspective/angle inwhich this was shot is awesome. It really adds some pop to that flower....makes it jump off the page. DOF is great, and not distracting. Love the little bug on the flower.
    Nice job and welcome to the boards!
    B.
  • 08-26-2005, 04:19 PM
    racingpinarello
    Welcome...and helpful critique
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 7_of_9
    Hi all. I joined as a member today, and just wanted to start off with a photo i took about 2 months ago at a nursery. It was in the dead of winter in South Africa. Please tell me what you think of it. Just a beginner.

As a beginner you are on to a good start. You may want to experiment with a couple of things that would help with your photo.

One, the contrast is quite high and having a cloudy day where the light wasn't so bright would help. Also the background is distracting, so using a wide open aperature, say f/ 2.8 or f/3.5 would help that flower pop from the background.

Your ideal (95% of the battle) is very good, and hopefully with more practice you will be much happier.

Loren