Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

dog playing at the beach

what are thoughts on this one? i love the dog's "pose"... i think it conveys his excitement and motion really well. one thing i'm unsure of is the focus... it was af of course, but for some reason it focused on the background instead of foreground. i kind of like the effect but wanted some opinions....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dog playing at the beach-manny_jose3_bw_altered_lowres.jpg  

A very difficult subject...

captured very well. I know how difficult dogs are to 'grab'. I have a Golden retriever puppy too and she is alergic to sitting still! Yep, I can see that your auto focus rested on the rocks - probably because it is in the centre view of the lens and your subjects are either side. I hope you don't mind - I used the unsharp mask in Photoshop to 'play' with it. You could add more or reduce it depending on what you like, but I think the B&W copes well with the extra noise/grain that sharpening it creates. Please let me know if you would prefer me not to alter your images and I won't in the future.

I like the atmosphere of your photo - reminds me of walking along the coast of Scotland which is a nice feeling considering I am sweltering in tropical North Queensland right now.

Thanks,

Fran
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dog playing at the beach-manny_jose3_bw_altered_lowres.jpg  

another one

i think i had applied the unsharp mask already, but i was more subtle than you. personally, your version is a bit too grainy for me in this shot (even though i like the idea of grain in photos in general!) but the point is well taken. i will keep this in mind in the future. thanks!

ok, here's another one. i applied unsharp mask a little more generously here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dog playing at the beach-manny_jose2_bw_altered_lowres.jpg  

Dogs are the greatest. :)

Your first shot is excellent and the second one good.I think your AF sensor is just capturing what was in the geometric center of your frames at the time (the cliffs and waves, respectively). But like Fran said a little Unsharp Mask and you're all set. Nice pics!
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information