Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: A leaf

A leaf

My favorite from last Fall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A leaf-leaf.jpg  

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I like it, but I want to see the Tip of it.... the bright object on the bottom left hand side is a bit distracting, as is the bright corner on the top left side...

You wouldn't by chance be showing us a cropped version, would you? because I really like this photo, especially the contrast of colors and the dark background, but without the tip of the leaf, it feels "unfinished"

Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Quote Originally Posted by jparker
    My favorite from last Fall
    I like this quite a bit. The shape and curly form of the leaf and it's veins give the eye plenty to do and help you find some of summer's color left in the leaf. I also like the way the background concentrates your attention on the leaf.

I don't mind the missing tip. For me it gives a feeling that the leaf is falling through the frame rather than just hanging there. It lets me think of the carpet of leaves that it's falling into and the crunching footsteps and pleasant autumn smell you have when walking in the leaves.

As shown here for the web it has a couple problems. The leaf seems to be outlined - perhaps from oversharpening - giving the appearance of a leaf placed on a background photo or cut and pasted into the B/W background. There are also some stringy looking white artifacts on the leaf in the area of the green spots.

I can see why it is your favorite.

the leaf

Unfortunately this is the only shot. When I got my small camera (digital elph sd100) I tended to carry it around and just take a lot of pictures without really looking at them. As for this one, I agree with your comments so far. It think having the end of the leaf might have been for the best. As for the stringy articfacts, they are actually parts of the leaf. On a higher resoulution picture it is more apparent.

Here is the original and a second version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A leaf-leaf-2.jpg   A leaf-original-leaf.jpg  

Thread Information