Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Leading to the Past

I've been messing with this image for the past couple months and think I am fairly happy with the PP, but am trying to figure out if it should be cropped, and if so, where to crop it. I like the long leading lines of the uncropped version, but not sure if the one track entering from the side of the frame is too distracting and the nearly centered horizon isn't great. This version also makes the grain elevator less prominent - but I'm not sure that is really a problem. So my question is basically, which version "feels" the best. If you'd like to suggest an alternative crop, feel free to edit my images. Other C&C is welcome also. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leading to the Past-20110331_elevator_lothair_542-1.jpg   Leading to the Past-20110331_elevator_lothair_542-1-2.jpg   Leading to the Past-20110331_elevator_lothair_542-1-2-2.jpg  
    Last edited by ksbryan0; 05-21-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Re: Leading to the Past

I like the middle crop best.
    It does seem a bit over saturated though.
    Have you tried this in B&W. Seems a fitting subject.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

agreed on the saturation. I prefer the first crop.

I like #2 because we can see both rails from the beginning

I will choose the first one for the reason that the way the tracks are at a slight angle gives it a little more depth to me. By taking it straight down the track next to the side of the building it just makes the whole thing look kind of flat to me. I don't know if you have the option for a retake but if you do maybe moving to the left or even as far as getting the other track in the picture might be something to consider. I took a picture about a month ago with a track and depot in it at more of an angle and it just gives it more depth to me. This is a copy to show what I am talking about, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leading to the Past-dsc_5019_2.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your thoughts and input.
    Ken

GB1

Not bad, but I think this one is crying for a black and white conversion. Train tracks are like that. Give it a shot!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

i prefer the first one because the tracks give more feel to the photo for me

I like the 1st photo becuase the railings and the way to the house was very well emphasized.

Thanks GB, John & SHbaker. Seems like the majority liked the first image, which is the one I favored. I have yet to crank out a BW image that I've been very happy with, but snoid & GB convinced me to give it a try on this. I will let you all be the jury on this one. It seemed a little plain, so I added a bit of grain to it...too much?

Jeff, it turns out that I did take more of an angled shot - similar to your example - I will see what I can make of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leading to the Past-copy-20110331_elevator_lothair_bw_542-1.jpg  
    Last edited by ksbryan0; 05-25-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: straightened image, as the original was
    Ken

Ken, I like the crop you (and almost everyone else) liked best and I agree that B&W is the way to go, but I think this one needs more tweeking. If you're using phootoshop, take the original and add a B&W adjustment layer. Then pull the green slider way back (this will bring out more detail in the clouds) and push the blue and cyan sliders up a bunch (this will darken the blue parts of the sky) and I think you'll find it a lot less "flat".

I can post an example if you're cool with it

Thanks Jet, the detail of the sky really got lost in the conversion to BW. I am using LR3, and got the blue a little darker by pulling the camera calibration primary red saturation down hard - the green and blue controls didn't give as good contrast. I'm not sure I like the fact that the entire sky got darker. I'd really like to see your edit, so please feel free.
    Ken

The darker sky does give it a more "moody" feel. That might not be to everyone's liking :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leading to the Past-lothair_542-1.jpg  

I like the crop where the right rail exits on the right side, rather than the bottom. I agree with Jeff that if both rails exit at the bottom, it makes it look flatter. as for the colour. I like your black and white or Jetrim's duotone also works.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thanks Liban, I agree that the angled tracks help the shot depth. I've started working on another image with a that perspective that may end up replacing this one as my favorite.

Jet, your edit really gives it a dimensional perspective that mine lacks - the dark sky really helps the elevator pop out of the background. I will see if I can do something similar in PSE8. Thanks again!
    Ken

Ken, I agree with the 1st image being the better. I like the b&w conversion that you have up there. The tones are great. This is a fine subject for the b&w and old nostalgic feel.
    Very good.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I think I like the original. I would clone the supports and maybe even the sign left of the tracks.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Gary. This has been a good subject for me to try out some new PP techniques, and all the feedback has been a great help. Greg, the signs don't bug me because they are a normal feature along tracks, particularly where switching takes place - but the bright white should probably be darkened to make them less prominent. As for the "supports", they are actually the downspouts to load grain on rail cars (left side) or trucks (right side), so again they are suppose to be there and the image would not look correct to someone who understands how grain elevators work without them. But your suggestion is well taken, because they would look odd to a viewer that doesn't know what an elevator does.

After Jeff mentioned taking the shot with the tracks at more of an angle, I found this one which I had disregarded because I felt I didn't leave enough space around the elevator, there wasn't as much energy in the clouds, and if you follow the leading lines, they take you right out of the picture. Was I right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leading to the Past-20110331_elevator_lothair_557-2.jpg  
    Ken

I agree this is a bit tight, more so on the right

Thread Information