Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Talking last one-I promise!

I don't have ANY more after this one--REALLY (it's a little cheesy with the scarf but hey....

I wanted to try a more illustrated artsy profile shot

It was shot in sepia tone mode I think it was f/8.3 at 2 seconds(I think), ISo 400, with a 25 watt light about a foot away

Post editing--- was cropped very tightly and I cloned out the background, adjusted levels and increased contrast and burned in the eyelid area (gave it that peach tone) tip of the nose and scarf and dodged some of the lip area(odd shadows) used diffuse glow filter with increase in garin and converted to a "watercolor"

so thanks for bearing (sp) with me and specifically

what do you like and dislike about it and any post editing (corrective or creative)
    techniques you might have used....instead or in addition to

Thanks....in advnaced for any ideas, and critiques.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

dishes, eyebrows, and a scarf

natalie,
    The first thing I wanted to do was put some midtones on your cheeks. Probably works both ways. A innocent 1950's shot. nice eyebrows.

feel free

to add a blush to my cheeks ;)

anytime you feel something might work better feel free to edit and crop away...

and add as many midtones as your heart desires...

thnaks for checking out the post and sharing your opinions....
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

blushed!

I've never put blush on a girl before
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oooh, I like this one. I'm a fan of heightened contrast, which puts strong emphasis on the eyes and lips. Only nitpick for me is the tip of your nose is almost, though not quite, lost in the similarly-toned background. Very, very nice. :-)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    Post editing--- was cropped very tightly and I cloned out the background, adjusted levels and increased contrast and burned in the eyelid area (gave it that peach tone) tip of the nose and scarf and dodged some of the lip area(odd shadows) used diffuse glow filter with increase in garin and converted to a "watercolor"
    I like this one too, you have lots of great self portraits. I'm glad you included the processing you did because I can never tell how someone got their final result just by looking at the photo. This helps us all learn and gives ideas.

I like the overall tone, but wish the background was not blending into your face at a couple spots. Just a little more separation. I also think a little more scarf at the bottom might be nice, not sure if you cropped the bottom or not. But those are just little things, it's a fine shot.

Spike

Unh HUH!

Ok, I am quickly becoming a big fan! Aside from (and maybe this is just my configuration) the nose being a tad lost in your background, I have NO complaints!

I actually like that there is no actual coloration in the cheeks...just my opinion. I think the crop is perfect and the subtlety of the features is excellent.

KEEP GOING! Inspiration abounds!
    Every artist was first an amateur. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Like, zoinks! - Shaggy

yeah i agree with everyone else- this is my fav so far from this series. nice shot. i like the exposure. i like the composition. me likey.
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

well done

subtle but it softens the look of it more me...nice idea
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

he likes it mikey he likes it

glad you like this one I'm starting to really be keen on it over the others
    glad you took th etime to look it's encouraging ;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

that makes two of us

I actually had to reconstruct my nose because it disappeared(with the background) like michael Jackson's-lol

I'm a fan of heightened contrast, which puts strong emphasis on the eyes and lips. .

I REALLY love that look as well...something about a woman's lips and eyes that can be so captivating when they're shot in just the right way...I think you know what I'm talking about. ;)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Talking I Like It!

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I don't have ANY more after this one--REALLY (it's a little cheesy with the scarf but hey....

I wanted to try a more illustrated artsy profile shot

It was shot in sepia tone mode I think it was f/8.3 at 2 seconds(I think), ISo 400, with a 25 watt light about a foot away

so thanks for bearing (sp) with me and specifically

what do you like and dislike about it and any post editing (corrective or creative)
    techniques you might have used....instead or in addition to

Thanks....in advnaced for any ideas, and critiques.
    Very nice - the profile, the post processing, and I really like the tight crop. Charles already touched on the only thing I noticed - the tip of your nose almost disappears into the background. Other wise, it's awesome. 25 Watts? Two seconds? You go girl! You're most artistic than I am!

And by the way...WE WANT MORE!!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

nice

me likey too! i always enjoy your posts nat. you're a very beautiful gal, which makes your well-shot self portraits even more pleasing to the eye. keep it up!
    -matt

Thread Information