Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: A lake.

A lake.

Sunset at a lake. I chose monochrome over color because the flare is not noticeable in mono.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A lake.-dsc_4037_8_9_tonemapped.jpg  

GB1

Re: A lake.

Excellent contrast Erithacus. I think the BW conversion works and is an eye catcher.

What could be better: I think the lack of an obvious subject confuses me a bit. I want to look at the city but to be honest it's just too dark and the buildings too small to provide much information... I really have no idea what's happening over there. That being so, the grass becomes the subject, but I don't think it's strong enough to be a good subject. I guess that leaves me wondering what could have been

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Excellent contrast Erithacus. I think the BW conversion works and is an eye catcher.

What could be better: I think the lack of an obvious subject confuses me a bit. I want to look at the city but to be honest it's just too dark and the buildings too small to provide much information... I really have no idea what's happening over there. That being so, the grass becomes the subject, but I don't think it's strong enough to be a good subject. I guess that leaves me wondering what could have been

G
    Well I think we are from different part of the world... as for us, Malaysians, we recognize the buildings in the background. On the left you can see KL Tower, and the Petronas Twin Towers which were once the tallest buildings in the world and currently the tallest twin tower in the world. These are the icons of Malaysia. If I were to shoot the buildings without the foreground, the high tension power cables running across the building will be visible. They will spoil the photo.

I shot at the same spot in a morning sometime ago and posted at a critique forum. Well ... they liked the compo but I didn't like lighting because of the haze. Last Saturday evening's weather was nice and I thought I could get some nice sunset shoot. I liked the color version but the flare/ ghosting spoiled it.

I think it works well. I do recognize the buildings in the background, now that I read your reply, and to my eye, it's a very unique view of your city. I agree with GB1 that the grass / water is the main subject. But then my eye naturally travels up to look at the buildings. I like the dynamic - it keeps me curious and keeps me looking around. And there's a lot to look at here. I also think the black-and-white conversion works well. I do wonder if the city is just a bit dark. On the other hand, that might be part of what's making this work. I like how my eye goes straight to the grass and then starts moving around, wanting to see more.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I like it too. I only wish the sky behind the skyline was a little lighter to make the buildings stand out more. Or if the skyline was light with a dark sky behind. But overall I think it's a strong image. Nice work.

The twin towers usually lights up after 8pm. At this time of the year, 8pm is already dark.

Thread Information