Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    TJM
    Great Sage Equal of Heaven

Kuranda Waterfall

Hey everyone.

Heres a photo i took recently near Kuranda, which is near Cairns, which is in northern Queensland, which is in Australia. Thats in the pacific

Sadly i was dumb enough to forget the plate for my tripod, so I lugged my tripod all the way up this bloody mountain only to find I had no way to attach a camera to it. Durrr.

Thanks for having a look

- Toby M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kuranda Waterfall-crw_2752.jpg  

Hi Toby,

Bugger to forget the plate. Not bad for a hand held as well, nice colours

Very cool shot. Don't think I'd change anything. Normally I would say you don't want that pool in the centerline of the frame, but because the upper and lower falls move across on a bit of a diagonal, the pool works. Nice work.

I've been to Cairns but unfortunately didn't see that particular place. I did however, see Sutherland Falls in New Zealand, which was astounding.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Wow!

That's a beautiful photo and an impressive location. I sure wish I could see the whole waterfall, though. I feel like I'm missing something since I can't see the bottom. The crop at the top doesn't bother me. Only that I can't see the bottom.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hey John,

The problem with some of the water falls here in Australia is they are bloody high and go a long way down to the bottom. The area that Toby was in is up I think around the pointy area of the east cost of Australia. Accessible by Four Wheel Drive only, bit like being in the Tropics, high trees, lots of rainforest and big walks up and down hills. It is a pretty remote sort of area.

A bit like getting all of Ayres Rock (Uluru) in the centre of Australia in to a frame, you have to go back about 1-2 Kms to get it in perspective. I don't think he could do that with the water fall.

He will correct me if I'm wrong, just what my brother-in-law has commented on about the area, he goes up there every year, 2 day drive from his place, 3-4 days from here. And I mean ALL DAY drives, stoping for petrol, pit stop and food only.

TJM
    Great Sage Equal of Heaven
    Peter nailed it

John, i agree id prefer to see the bottom too, sadly, as Peter said, this thing is so tall you cant actually see the bottom. The viewpoint is about 300m high a few metres back from what is nearly a cliff face, and the falls start from only slightly lower on the other side. You cant get to the edge for obvious safety reasons ;) Would be great to have a look from the bottom but youd need to be flown in by chopper, and id no doubt forget the plate for my tripod again

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Thread Information