Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Keep Out!

Keep Out!

This is just one of my shots from a recent shoot (chase) in Vermont. Taken at the Rutland VTR train yard in mid afternoon.

Canon 1D Mark II, Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) @ 226mm, 1/320", f/9, ISO200

Rest of the shots can be seen here: http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8110
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Re: Keep Out!

Again I really like the composition. The lights on the train really make the shot. I like the DOF too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like the composition on this one. I'd like to see the shadows on right lightened but that's personal taste.
    Did you cross the line?
    Stick your camera on a tripod, self timer, stand just on the other side of the sign and stick your tongue out.
    Maybe not. In today's world you'd probably end up in Guantanamo.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Ross,

I like the colours, the composition and the lights on the oncoming train nail the shot. However, the darkness of the right side is overpowering the rest of the photo and needs a little work to lighten it just a fraction to stop it overpowering the rest, especially the leaves of the tree extreme right. the other carriage is ok as is.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Did you cross the line?
    Stick your camera on a tripod, self timer, stand just on the other side of the sign and stick your tongue out.
    LOL naw I really didnt have to... this being up by the shop I dont try and exceed the law (lets just say)... but out on the road the crews know I am there (usually) and are happy to have me around. The conductor and I hung out and chatted for probably 45 minutes while switching out cars in North Bennington. It helps that I am a brakeman for a Scenic Railroad as well as their staff photographer. Its about the best credentials you can throw out there because they know you are at the same qualification level for rules classes and such.

I hadnt thought about lightening the right side but if I get some time this afternoon I may try it out...gonna be a long weekend, just found out I am probably going to have to fill in as the headend brakeman for saturday, and sunday I will be doing photography on the railroad... ahhhh the day in the life on the railroad...
    Ross Mealey of TRJ Photography
    Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum Staff Photographer
    National Press Photographers Assn. Member (NPPA)
    Canon, Sigma, Mamiya, Toyo,and Rodenstock-Sironar

My Railroad Photography

Thread Information