Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Phonolite Hill

Phonolite Hill

Infrared image of a hill, in a remote section of Utah, named Phonolite. Had to look this one up: Phonolite is a rare igneous, volcanic (extrusive) rock of intermediate composition, with aphanitic to porphyritic texture.The name phonolite comes from the Greek meaning (more or less) "sounding stone" because of the metallic sound it produces if an unfractured plate is hit, hence the English name clinckstone. From Wikipedia. Interesting stuff and I like the comp with the reeds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phonolite Hill-phonolite-hill.jpg  

MB1

Re: Phonolite Hill

Well the infrared look is interesting but I am not so sure about the composition.

Although I like the grass it is so tall that it makes the hill look smallish. I wonder if there were some way you could make the hill bigger in the frame?
    No, I DON'T need that.

It is supposed to be a bit of juxtaposition which is why I framed it that way. Of course I have an image (vertical) where the hill dominates but it frankly is rather ordinary to me.

n8

are you doing these the "right" way with infrared film, with a filter, or in pp?
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Not sure what the "right" way is (I try to avoid such adjectives), but I do digital IR with either modified DSLRs (a filter over the sensor) or with IR sensitive cameras and a filter over the lens. This is analogous to using IR film. Using strictly post processing can at best produce infrared-like images.

Thread Information