Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Japanese Garden

Japanese Garden

I'm not sure what I think of this one. I took it a few weeks ago at the Chicago Botanical Gardens.

Nikon D90
    -Nikkor 18-200VR
    -Sigma 10-20mm

Re: Japanese Garden

It's hard to tell really, since the image is taller than my screen. I have to scroll to see the whole thing, which makes it hard to judge the photo in its entirety. When I can see the bottom, part of the sky is cut off, which I actually think works better. My first thought, when scrolling by is that there is too much sky. Also, the statue's lighting makes it hard to see the detail. It took me a while to notice that there is water behind it. The greenish color makes it hard to see that it's water and not grass, or some extension of the plants.

All in all, I think it's a nice picture. I would love to see a closer up image of the statue, so I can see the detail. Maybe if you lowered your camera and took the shot from a different angle, so you lose the sign and the ropes, it would be a more striking image.

Oh, and I am a complete novice when it comes to photography, so please bear that in mind when you read my comments!! They are coming from a completely unbiased and raw perspective.

Thanks for the comment, I too believe it to be too "green". I was also thinking of cropping out some sky but hesistated as it takes away from so much green. For some reason though I still like the photo, not sure what grabs me about it though lol.
    Nikon D90
    -Nikkor 18-200VR
    -Sigma 10-20mm

One thing that could make it better, is probably out of your control. But the water almost has a green murkiness. Almost in the same color group as the plants. Too bad its not a bit more blue, or darker, or that the angle could have been lower to get reflections.

But you can't do more than a garden will allow

Not sure I'm liking the little rope fence and sign. My eyes are drawn to them. I do like Japanese lanterns though. I've been living in Japan for the last 3 1/2 years and do lots of hiking here. There are lots of Japanese lanterns hidden around in the countryside which make for nice pics.

Thread Information